Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Okay,

I just tried the Magic Mouse on my SteelSeries gaming mouse pad and it doesn't glide well at all. It makes a lot of sound to boot!

I prefer using a mouse pad and I also switch between three difference mice, which includes my current Mighty Mouse. The Magic Mouse doesn't even glide that well on my desk anyway; it's just a little less laborious to move around.

As much as I like the feel and functionality of the Magic Mouse, the deal-breaker is the gliding issue. My Mighty Mouse glides very well and with dead silence; I just hate the mouse-ball, which I have to constantly clean :p

Now, inspecting the rubber length-wise feet of the Magic Mouse, I think it's possible to make a pretty sweet little mod, if not done already, that could make it glide like a puck on ice... I mean, within reason of course :)

I wonder if it's possible to put some sort of plastic material (i.e. something like a screen-protector for a cell phone or similar), cut it to form, and use a gentle adhesive to bind it to the feet of the Mighty Mouse. It could work; just need the right materials.

My SteelSeries mousepad is excellent and has thus far served me very well. With the rest of the mice not giving me any grief, I'd hardly feel good about buying a myriad of mouse pads for the sake of making a Mighty Mouse happy! lol.

Any thoughts?

I have the same mouse pad and have the same issue with my magic mouse, Ive just been too lazy to try alternatives. I was thinking something similar to the old 3M mats made of a teflon type substance. Or one of the hard plastic mats, though I would still prefer a thin material mat, so I may also look at the razer ones to see if their surface is any smoother than the steel series.

I would not really want to replace the bottom pads as it would be hard to get the balance precise. I will let you know if I have any joy with alternative mats.

Yeah my friend had the same problem. Ended up using the glossy cover of a book as a mouse pad. I would pick up a plastic gaming mat if it really bugs you.

Another option would be to add those plastic pads they make for mice to the bottom of your magic mouse. Or some tape :)

:lol:

I used clear box-tape, cut it to form, and place it lengthwise on both feet. Gliding capabilities are increased by 65% :) It's still a little heavy on the mouse pad, but far superior than without the tape. Also, as a bonus, there is a significant reduction in noise! It's not much louder than my Mighty mouse! Thanks auntyjamima for there tape mod! ;)

I'm sure a thicker plastic (like a screen protector) would work even better!

Dab some tissue paper in alcohol and clean the feet before applying the tape and when you decide to remove the tape.

Slightly OT, but I'm not very happy with my Magic Mouse because the tracking is so slow. I have installed Magic Pref to increase the tracking speed, but that only seems to work after log-in (i.e., not on the log-in screen itself).

Has anyone found a solution for that?

Thanks,
teq

I've been using one for several months and honestly, I can't say that I'm all that happy with it. I think the shape is kinda bad for the size of my right hand and it doesn't feel as comfy as when I grip my MX518 mouse. I have both mice on an x-ray mouse pad and the MX518 is much smoother. Wireless is cool but it doesn't feel as good. :shifty:

I definitely feel that the Magic Mouse mouse isn't for everybody. It all depends on whether or not you "palm" or "claw" your mouse. I personally like to switch between both styles. I prefer claw for FPS games. My G9 is great for this, but if I were to work with it for several hours, it starts to cramp my hand. My other mouse is a G500. Not as "precise" as the G9, but a lot more comfortable for all other games and general productivity. I actually find using the Mighty Mouse pretty comfortable, considering it actually has a smaller form factor than the G9.

The Magic Mouse is definitely a claw mouse given its slim profile. But I can feel the cramps starting to come after prolonged use.

I love using BetterTouchTool with my Magic Mouse. It really makes a difference to your workflow.

To bring the discussion further off topic:
As I'm waiting for my sub $2 BlueTooth dongle to come in, I've been using this old BT dongle I found laying around in a coffee mug I store change in lol. It's several years old and I purchased it at an Asian night market. It works surprisingly well and I had no hitches with OSX and compatibility. Plug and play. Now, I'm not sure if it's the quality of the BT dongle itself, but I've noticed every now and then (perhaps once every 30-45 minutes) my Magic Mouse will jump a moderate (400-600 pixels) distance and then it will return to normal functionality. This isn't anything like the problems with high DPI gaming mice (my G9, G500 go nuts in OSX). Anyone ever seen their Magic Mouse act up like this?

When I get my new BT dongle, I'll definitely report back.

I found a product called Fliders (http://www.fliders.com) that solves your problem. Been using them for about 2 months now, and I can definitely recommend them over any mousepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back