Contribute
Register

Macro Stutters / Freezing for 1-3s then catching up and continuing to work normally

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z590-A
CPU
i7-11700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi hope all are well!

Now this is a problem that has plagued it since it first ran...ever since we built this dang thing in April 2021!
I had another thread which veered toward this but figured I'd consolidate everything here

Basically, these stutters have continued to happen as I've been through a lot of hardware (and software fixes) to treat the stutter.
Like the Ship of Theseus, this isn't even the same computer anymore and it somehow continues to happen.
The most stupefying problem I have ever encountered.

The stutters have happened across all:

OSes: Windows 10, 11, Ubuntu, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura

SSDs: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB & T-Force Cardea A440 2TB (in different slots) & Silicon Power A40 in an external enclosure

GPUs: RX 570, Vega 56, 5600 XT, 3x 5700 XT, 6900 XT, and now 6600 XT

PSUs: Corsair 650f ----> Phanteks Eclipse 1000w

RAM: G. Skill Trident Royal 32GB DDR4 3200MHz ----> Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3600MHz

Motherboard: Original ROG STRIX Z590-A Gaming WiFi ---> MSI Z590-A PRO WI-FI

CPU: 11700K ------> RMA 11700K

Is there any part that has not been changed or at some point tested with an alternative?
The only things I can think of that have stayed the same are the case, AIO, fans, and fan hub. And yes it's comical at how non functional all those items are

I built it with a 5600 XT, ROG STRIX board, Trident Royal, Corsair 650f, and none of those still exist and it still happens :O

The RMA'd CPU did not solve it either, and that just stunned me. Especially the board not solving it - I just tried these two in the last week

The stutter is random, sometimes not in a day, sometimes 3 times in a day. Seemingly random, no particular task. Any audio playing will continue to play, but the mouse and video will stutter and then catch up. If you're typing the cursor would just freeze and then all you typed would suddenly appear, or if watching a video, it would freeze on that frame and then skip ahead. (Not omitting all that happened, but then you would see it happen as if all that happened was played in fast speed)

So!

I see a few remaining things it could point to:

- Maybe it's related to my OpenCore and thus causing it in Windows too (Does OpenCore affect Windows in any way besides the SMBIOS / manufacturer?) --- Will try to boot windows directly from Windows Boot Manager and see if it happens - though, I had to use the ubuntu bootloader to run Ubuntu and it happened there, so maybe OpenCore can be ruled out

- Honestly nothing else comes to mind. I ran the computer with no peripherals plugged in and it still happened
It's also happened across monitors. Also tried Resizable Apple GPU Bar, etc, on and off. that felt promising but no go.

On the bright side, in this journey I managed to fix this coil whine that's been linked with mouse movements and window movements! especially prevalent on my 4k 120hz monitor. That was solved with PP,PP_WorkLoadPolicyMask to 1. You can Google this for some threads with more info

so PSA: If you have any coil whine especially on high refresh rates, with an RX 5000 or 6000 series GPU, definitely try setting that WorkLoadPolicyMask. That was amazing to finally hear gone, that's also been there for at least a year! Fingers crossed that somehow that flag solved it!

Anywho, any thoughts on treating this stutter will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Bad hard drives could make the system hang, also in windows. I had installed macos on a sata ssd then I faced macro stutter issue then I forced trim feature to be enabled, it was fixed. Maybe testing ssds would be good.

Possible, but it has occurred across 3 SSDs. I've tried macOS installs on all of them. I think 4 perhaps, 2 tried externally and 2 internally

With all installed on mobo or did you plug them off and tried one by one?

With all installed on mobo or did you plug them off and tried one by one?
Good point, the Sabrent remained plugged in throughout
First had only the Sabrent.
Then it happened with the Sabrent + A440.
Then the externals with those 2 remaining inside.

But I did just encounter it with only the A440, yesterday :/

Thank you for helping! This is a crazy problem that goes beyond OS, beyond hackintosh. I should post on other PC forums too

Back