Contribute
Register

MacOS + Windows + Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a linux noob too, but ubuntu has made it sort of intuitively easy to work out the basic. So repartitioning is no problem using gparted for linux, just before kicking off the mac osx install and setup onto an existing dual boot system.

Getting the installer booted and loading to the setup screen, then use the disk utility shouldnt be an issue.

One thing i'm not sure about is, the boot loader. do we get a choice? or is the only option to boot with chimera/chameleon, then select whatever os (partition) to go with.

i dont mind if it chain loads grub or windows booter, just as long as i can get it all working without issues.

Truecrypt: since a laptop will be used, the windows partition will be encrypted. and not sure about the ubuntu yet. seems complicated.

cheers

There are some people that use the Windows boot loader or even Grub and then chain load into Chimera/Chameleon. That works too, although more complicated to set up. Easier to use Chimera to chain load into the other boot loaders (yes, that is what is going on). Looks nicer too.

Ok, super, I just ruined everything...

I'm stating all over again, and following your partition table from your blog.

I wanna update everything with this occasion (mountain lion and windows 8)

So can you please tell me what steps do I have to make to get a clean install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 ?

As I know, I have to start with Hp ProBook Installer 4.1 b1, but after? Are all the packages good?

What should be avoided, etc?

Thanks!

Ok, super, I just ruined everything...

I'm stating all over again, and following your partition table from your blog.

I wanna update everything with this occasion (mountain lion and windows 8)

So can you please tell me what steps do I have to make to get a clean install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 ?

As I know, I have to start with Hp ProBook Installer 4.1 b1, but after? Are all the packages good?

What should be avoided, etc?

Thanks!

Almost everything you need for ProBook install is right here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/63348-hp-probook-installer-4-1b1.html

Other than the AHCI patch in the installer -- it is only for 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 (for now). You will need to refer to bcc9's thread on insanely mac: http://www.insanlynac.com/forum/top...n-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/

After that you should have things running, and then there is extra credit:
1) patch your own DSDT for performance reasons: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT
2) install my improved battery manager: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver/downloads
3) if the fan annoys you, install my quiet fan software: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

One thing to be careful about when you are dealing with hybrid GPT/MBR is *never* edit your partitions with an MBR partition editor. Always edit on the GPT side of things, then gptsync. If you really want to understand hybrid MBR/GPT you should read some of Rod's books: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

Ok to make everything right, please clarify for me this things:

I have as in the description hp probook 4530s 6450m hd3000 and i5, so when I select from the installer the dsdt, I choose the radeon dsdt and the intel hd3000 or just one? If so which one?

Next, I select the AHCI patch also (the glitch patch should I select?). After all this is done, I apply the update 10.8.1 run the installer, and after I have to install the AHCI patch from the insanlymac? If so, how do I install it?

After all that things above are done, I patch my own dsdt and install the rest of the programs.

Please correct me if I get wrong something.

UPDATE: Following your tutorial I installed (only) windows 8, and after installing mac ML and selecting just os version 10.8 and chimera bootloader, when I restarted the pc, the windows bootloader showed up, no sign of chimera... ?!

Ok to make everything right, please clarify for me this things:

I have as in the description hp probook 4530s 6450m hd3000 and i5, so when I select from the installer the dsdt, I choose the radeon dsdt and the intel hd3000 or just one? If so which one?

You can select only one DSDT. Well, you can select more than one, but only one of them will be installed as you can have only one file named /Extra/dsdt.aml. From the instructions:
- Select ONE DSDT appropriate for your hardware, and BIOS version

Make sure you read the rest of the instructions in that post.

Next, I select the AHCI patch also (the glitch patch should I select?). After all this is done, I apply the update 10.8.1 run the installer, and after I have to install the AHCI patch from the insanlymac? If so, how do I install it?

After all that things above are done, I patch my own dsdt and install the rest of the programs.

Please correct me if I get wrong something.

There are instructions for running the AHCI patch for 10.8.x on the Insanely Mac forums (by bcc9). It is pretty easy, you just run the perl script from Terminal. The AHCI patch in the installer will not work for 10.8.2 -- it hasn't been updated to that version. Also, you may not need the ACHI patch (I currently don't). You can try your install without it and if you can't boot [waiting for root device], then apply it later (you will have to boot with -f [and maybe -v] to get it to boot).

You won't be running any 10.8.1 update because your app store copy is already 10.8.2, right?

My app store version is 10.8, so the DSDT I will select will NO MATTER if I patch my DSDT using ubuntu?!

So I don't get to complicated I will stick to 10.8.1 (after I update) and install only the AHCI patch from the Installer I guess.

But how about the Chimera fail I mentioned earlier?

efi::windows8::transfer::ml::swap::ubuntu

and after installing w8 and ML + installer the chimera bootloader won't show up, it boots directly to windows 8

UPDATE: I'm had enough... I tried to reinstall ML and run the installer one more time, and now the "You need to restart you're computer..." error appears (booting with unibeast, because the chimera won't boot up)

My app store version is 10.8, so the DSDT I will select will NO MATTER if I patch my DSDT using ubuntu?!

OK. My bad. I thought you app store was 10.8.2. In the case of 10.8 app store, you will need to do 10.8.1 update after getting it installed.

So I don't get to complicated I will stick to 10.8.1 (after I update) and install only the AHCI patch from the Installer I guess.

Always reasonable to take small steps towards the big goal.

But how about the Chimera fail I mentioned earlier?

efi::windows8::transfer::ml::swap::ubuntu

and after installing w8 and ML + installer the chimera bootloader won't show up, it boots directly to windows 8

If you install W8 after ML + installer, W8 installer will overwrite your boot loader. So, boot again into ML (using USB stick), and install Chimera again.

I wass getting an error because I didn't deactivated the dedicated video card from bios.

I installed ML after w8, and tried to reinstall chimera second time, and still the chimera didn't showed up :(.

I wass getting an error because I didn't deactivated the dedicated video card from bios.

I installed ML after w8, and tried to reinstall chimera second time, and still the chimera didn't showed up :(.

Try running gptsync in Ubuntu. I've noticed if you get your MBR out of sync Chimera doesn't install correctly.

I tried that as well, fresh install mac os ML > reboot > boot ubuntu > run gptsync > boot mac > run installer > reboot ... AND STILL W8 bootloader :-|:-|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back