Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
first id like to say sorry for my bad and limited ability of expression with english since its not my first language
well,as we know sierra and high sierra cannot booted without igpu, id like to share some of my "observation" about this problem. in fact i want to write this a while ago, but im busying with other things so i quickly forgot about that
correct me if am wrong,heres is the known ways to boot sierras without igpu
1.flash the card with legacy bios ONLY
if we stripped the UEFI from vbios, polaris would boot fine without igpu or helper card, thats the first hint for me which problem lying in the difference of initialize the EFI between real mac and hackintosh
2.change the device id in UEFI Vbios
if we change the Vbios device id from 67DF to anything not used by any card(like 67DD), the card would boot fine even under UEFI Vbios, i tried to using clover's load vbios function to load the very same bios, i got black screen just as theres no igpu, while flashing it to card and booting with clover results in success booting. thats the second hint for me, solution must lying in the way clover deal with uefi vbios. As we can see, load vbios failed to show same result as flashing the vbios directly into card, thats imply clover would load basic info(like device id) from vbios then passing these info to the system regardless what we changed in vbios file.
Im not intended to nail the exact cause of these problem, but i come up a workaround, if clover could let us pass any info we want to the system(like custom device id), or making a DSDT patch which fake the device id for polaris card, would it solve this problem?
how to flash the card with legacy bios ONLY???can you help me ?

Attachments

• 480biosuefi.rom.rar
    108.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
first id like to say sorry for my bad and limited ability of expression with english since its not my first language
well,as we know sierra and high sierra cannot booted without igpu, id like to share some of my "observation" about this problem. in fact i want to write this a while ago, but im busying with other things so i quickly forgot about that
correct me if am wrong,heres is the known ways to boot sierras without igpu
1.flash the card with legacy bios ONLY
if we stripped the UEFI from vbios, polaris would boot fine without igpu or helper card, thats the first hint for me which problem lying in the difference of initialize the EFI between real mac and hackintosh
2.change the device id in UEFI Vbios
if we change the Vbios device id from 67DF to anything not used by any card(like 67DD), the card would boot fine even under UEFI Vbios, i tried to using clover's load vbios function to load the very same bios, i got black screen just as theres no igpu, while flashing it to card and booting with clover results in success booting. thats the second hint for me, solution must lying in the way clover deal with uefi vbios. As we can see, load vbios failed to show same result as flashing the vbios directly into card, thats imply clover would load basic info(like device id) from vbios then passing these info to the system regardless what we changed in vbios file.
Im not intended to nail the exact cause of these problem, but i come up a workaround, if clover could let us pass any info we want to the system(like custom device id), or making a DSDT patch which fake the device id for polaris card, would it solve this problem?

You can have clover send a fake device id to the system, it's how some of us had Polaris working on our systems before 10.12.6 public beta. If you send a fake device id that isn't in the AMD kext plist files the system will boot up but it won't have any video acceleration.

Has anyone proved definitively it is clover's fault? Do the cards boot up fine with another bootloader? Or is the system's EFI initialization alone enough to cause the issue?

Hi, I am a Newbie running Sierra 10.12.5, i7 7700k, Asus Strix Z270G, Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ Rx 580 8gigs

I can't get my PC to boot with monitor plugged into my rx580 card (3/4's compete booting with apple logo it flickers then goes black), I have to boot with onboard graphics card then switch to rx580 at login.

Anyone know if there is a work around this problem? its pretty IRKING to have to switch from onboard to rx580 GPU after it boots... Please anyone. and again thanks in advance for all your hard work on this site!

You can have clover send a fake device id to the system, it's how some of us had Polaris working on our systems before 10.12.6 public beta. If you send a fake device id that isn't in the AMD kext plist files the system will boot up but it won't have any video acceleration.

Has anyone proved definitively it is clover's fault? Do the cards boot up fine with another bootloader? Or is the system's EFI initialization alone enough to cause the issue?

The available evidence leads most folks to believe it is not Clovers fault. Unless there has been a very recent change, the Ozmosis bootloader also does the same thing.

Hi, I am a Newbie running Sierra 10.12.5, i7 7700k, Asus Strix Z270G, Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ Rx 580 8gigs

I can't get my PC to boot with monitor plugged into my rx580 card (3/4's compete booting with apple logo it flickers then goes black), I have to boot with onboard graphics card then switch to rx580 at login.

Anyone know if there is a work around this problem? its pretty IRKING to have to switch from onboard to rx580 GPU after it boots... Please anyone. and again thanks in advance for all your hard work on this site!

That problem you are seeing is the same one everyone else is seeing. Usually what most folks do is make sure the IGPU is enabled as primary but otherwise ignored and then use the monitor's input selector or switch cables at login.

If you read through this thread, there are a lotvof discussions about it.

I did a chameleon 2667 install for an unmentionable CPU platform and got Grey screen. I was real excited I thought at any time the white screen would pop up and then log in but no, just gray screen. This was with legacy chameleon bootloader and RX 480 in slot 1.

@Jerry, I got 30 bit color on rx 560 in X99 type system using gt210 as helper card. It was easier to switch cards than the CPU for now.

Also for RX 480, I booted 12.6 ver 3 and had 9500controller loaded. I removed the ID from the 9500 and now it's booting using the 9520 controller. It's one way to force the other controller options.

Does the latest 10.12.16 beta fix HDMI sound on RX480? It works on 12.13..

@Jerry, I got 30 bit color on rx 560 in X99 type system using gt210 as helper card. It was easier to switch cards than the CPU for now.

Also for RX 480, I booted 12.6 ver 3 and had 9500controller loaded. I removed the ID from the 9500 and now it's booting using the 9520 controller. It's one way to force the other controller options.

:) That is good news. I have been keeping an eye on the prices for the RX 560 card ....

Are you familiar with using the nano editor in the Terminal app? As in trying the following:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AMD9520Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist

doing some editing then saving by using the control-o key combination followed by control-x to exit the editor?

Just a hunch...

Speaking of the 9520 controller, if you open it up in a hex editor and do a search for audio, it has hooks for Iceland, Greenland and Tonga, but I have not been able to find any for ellesmere or Baffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back