Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• Schermata 2016-12-26 alle 16.04.03.png
    Schermata 2016-12-26 alle 16.04.03.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 158
Worked for me, thanks!
Just follow the latest post update with the .rb file and done?

Edit: fixed but still with the thin text on some websites like /r/apple subreddit
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 11.45.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 11.46.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 11.53.40 AM.png

Last edited:
hey @Gigamaxx what RX 460 Brand recommend actually? I have this build and I'm thinking for the Gigabyte RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC

Edit:
Now I have the Ultrawide Dell U2913WM working with my RX 480 connected via DisplayPort to Mini-Dp cable that comes with the monitor. But is detected as Television, I can use the same process to fix the problem?

Here the system information:
View attachment 226862
You can see that said:

Television: Yes.

Is there any way to fix that and force to use RGB instead YCbCr? because in some websites the text look so weirdView attachment 226863

The Gigabyte RX460 works and doesn't need a 6pin power connector.

For those who need a helper card, here's a trick for automate the process in order to disable the "ghost" monitor automatically at login

First, download disable monitor and put in Applications folders (https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor)

Then, run on terminal:

Code:
/Applications/DisableMonitor.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableMonitor -l

It'll return your monitors attached and their IDs:

Code:
 ID         Name
----------- -----------------
188945589  S22F350
1535231424 Display
----------- -----------------

So, create a file named disable.sh (you can put the name you want), and put this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/Applications/DisableMonitor.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableMonitor -d 1535231424

Where -d is for diable a monitor, and then the ID of the "ghost" monitor (labeled purely as "Display" on the results above, NOTE that the real display have the real name)

Save the file at desktop and then change permissions on it: sudo chmod u+x /path/to/the/disable.sh

Then, Get information on the file (select - cmd+i) and set Terminal the default program to open it (i don't know why i have to do that, since the permission are correct)

Then save it on a place where will never touched or accidentally deleted

Create a new plain text file (Textedit), and put:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>com.user.loginscript</string>
   <key>Program</key>
   <string>path/to/disable.sh</string>
   <key>RunAtLoad</key>
   <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

NOTE THAT YOU HAVE TO CHANGE path/to/disable.sh to your real disable.sh location

and save as com.user.loginscript.plist in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ (/Users/youruser/Library/LaunchAgents)

then run the follow command on terminal:

Code:
launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.user.loginscript.plist

You can try loggin out and logging in to test if it works.

NOTE: i've one monitor connected to HDMI, when i connect it in the first HDMI port, the system detects three monitors, the ghost one, the real one, and a ghost which is a duplicate from the real one, so if i connect the monitor to the second HDMI port, DisableDisplay show me only the real monitor and the ghost one.

It's a very easy way trick, i've discovered or created nothing, just read the manual for DisplayMonitor and follow this guide:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6442364/running-script-upon-login-mac

Hope it works for you

Last edited:
Gigamaxx, you are a pro,
What do you think? RX490 comes out with 2 cumputing engine based on Polaris 10, so this is "...XT2" named device in sierra Kext files. Is it possible to use this (rx490) device IDs for use rx480? What do you will doing? Sell your rx480 and buying rx490? :D I think new iMacs will comes out with rx490 and rx490X (rx490X2).
What is your opinion?

Last edited:
Someone knows if the hdmi 2.0 of the rx 480 works in sierra? i need to achieve 4k at 60hz, but my 4k tv doesn't have a displayport.

I'll be joining this cadre once all my stuff comes in the mail. My mobo (Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5) has integrated graphics but I picked up a ASUS Radeon RX 460 ROG STRIX OC because the prices of the GTX 9xx cards were way too high. Maybe once there is 10xx support I'll switch back. I did see it mentioned in this thread as OOB (I checked before I bought).

So if I have dual monitors and have one plugged into the mobo and one into the RX 460 then I won't have to do the iGPU workaround? It's just that only one of the monitors will show me the boot process while the other is black until the OS loads?

Once I get everything installed and drivers updated I'll report back with results from work in Lightroom and FCPX.

There's now new speculation that the Vega 10 will be named the RX 500 series. The RX490 could be the Polaris 10xt2 or Vega 10 with GDDR5 or HBM memory. Vega is said to have 8gb and 16gb models and that one of the Vega GPUs could be GDDR5 or 5x memory 8gb and that the High Performance Vega will have the 16gb HBM2 memory. So far Sierra only has GDDR5 and HBM listed (AMD 4100kext, 4000kext), there is no GDDR5X or HBM2 specifically mentioned.

There are some new leaked benchmarks that show a low power consumption model similar to a dual RX460. The benchmarks are similar to existing RX 470-480 scores and this is speculated to be the Polaris 12 card. Seeing all these IDs above for the P12 along with the leaked scores looks like it's a notebook/laptop card to compete with the 470-480 cards but using less power and less heat, or the need for cooling fans directly mounted. If they have created a dual gpu card for the Polaris 12 (using RX 460s) that would be a good sign that they could do it with the 480 XT2?
However, as noted by others the XT label has been used before by AMD for rebranding of previous gpus with more memory and/or higher clock speeds. Maybe the P10XT2 will be the RX 485, 485x2 or something. A dual RX 480 (like in crossfire now) would be in between the GTX1080 and 1070 cards in performance but since AMD has shown off the Vega 10 and not registered the P10XT2 with the Koreans like the Vega 10 and Polaris 12 it may not be ready for prime time yet, or its just a Polaris 10 overclocked and doesn't need certification for the Korean market.

Personally, I'm waiting on the Vega 10 because there is a lot of support in Sierra, it matches the Polaris 10 in the volume of references in the code. Hopefully, it will be available very soon to test. Polaris 12 has few references (2-3) in Sierra like Polaris 10XT2 so it may be some time before they get full support in OSX, if at all. Apple already announced their laptop line up of AMD cards.

Someone knows if the hdmi 2.0 of the rx 480 works in sierra? i need to achieve 4k at 60hz, but my 4k tv doesn't have a displayport.

For 4K @60hz you need to use the Displayport output. The HDMI in Sierra only provides 30hz in 4K. If your monitor will handle 60hz through HDMI you may be able to use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for the card displayport to HDMI monitor setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back