Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more likely that they will use dual RX 480's at least for the top of the line 5K iMac. That will
probably replace the dual GPU 2013 Mac Pro that Apple has failed to refresh since initial release.

That's gonna be hot! A RX 480 is in the same TDP range as their current high-end options, which already go up to 100°C...

@sarim: Well, all other GPUs are only partly there. There's only a "Baffin" accelerator, no "Fiji" or "Ellesmere". They only integrated basic functionality, but not the actual 3D driver.

I'm no developer or software engineer but....
Would it be possible to achieve the same results with Clover as with a real Mac at boot?
By this I mean to completely disable the Clover GUI AND the Apple Boot logo when using and AMD card.
Basically getting the same result at boot as a Mac Pro with a AMD card = Black Screen until login window?

Thus leaving at the GPU untouched until the system is loaded. Maybe this will alleviate the kernel panic that is being seen.

Thus leaving at the GPU untouched until the system is loaded. Maybe this will alleviate the kernel panic that is being seen
It is the bootloader that makes GPU and other hardwares available to the OS :p So how can it be untouched and then used in os?

That's gonna be hot! A RX 480 is in the same TDP range as their current high-end options, which already go up to 100°C...
There are already gaming laptops with dual GTX 1070/1080 graphics chips that are for sale. The 480's probably won't be the full desktop versions. They'll be modded specifically for Apple's iMac. They key is that one will power the 5K display and the other will be used to run FCPX or other programs. Similar to the way it works in the 2013 MP.

Hey everyone, after a LOT of testing on the weekend and following this thread I managed to make my XFX R9 380 work with accelaration and on widescreen (2560x1080). I know many have done that already but the 'normal' way did not work with my system and wanted to post this in case I can save someone some pain.

My specs:
GPU: XFX R9 380 4GB
CPU: Intel i5 6400
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Monitor: LG 25UM57-P. It only has HDMI ports.

What did NOT work:
Greyhound FB even with Kexts to move Display port to HDMI. No signal on R9 380 when using this on HDMI or DVI ports.
Lagotto FB, it worked only at one point but would not allow more resolution than 1920x1080 (either on HDMI or DVI), SwitchResX would not help. Now Lagotto gives me nothing, no signal.

What WORKED:
Mount EFI partition which has Clover, move clover folder somewhere else as a backup, and reinstalling Clover 2.3 r3882.
Then, I opened Clover Configurator just to check, everything was on defaults now, and it worked! I did not have to inject Ati or Intel or use FB Lagotto or Greyhound with FakeId 0x69391002. It must be using the standard Radeon FrameBuffer.
Why did I not try this first? Well I had upgraded from El Capitan and after the upgrade I lost acceleration, read a lot of posts and everything pointed to need to use FakeID and specific Framebuffers, Inject ATI or Intel, so I tried infinite combinations of that... -.-

So I had 2 problems left now:
1) Ghost monitor.
SOLUTION: DisableMonitor app. I have to disable it at every login. https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor
2) Had to boot with cable on onboard HDMI, otherwise my XFX R9 380 model makes the computer crash at the apple logo loading screen. Only at login screen I could switch my cable back to the HDMI port on my R9 380.
SOLUTION: Use 2 HDMI cables permanently connected, 1 to the onboard graphics and the other to the R9 380.
Note:
DVI ports only give me max 1920x1080 (using DVI-D to HDMI adapter, maybe that causes issues), but just HDMI works fine for 2560x1080.

I hope this helps someone. I am attaching my current working clover config.plist file just in case, but I strongly recommend reinstalling Clover as I did to avoid issues and start from scratch.

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0
FPS: 30.9
Score: 1295
Min FPS: 18.6
Max FPS: 54.5
System
Platform: Darwin 16.1.0 x86_64
CPU model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz (2711MHz) x4
GPU model: Intel HD Graphics 530/AMD R9 xxx (4096MB) x1
Settings
Render: OpenGL
Mode: 1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset: Extreme HD

Attachments

• config.plist
    17.9 KB · Views: 241
FakeSMC.kext.zip For 12.1 beta. Have you signed up for the Beta program? View attachment 213688
Try using this FakeSMCKEXT and look for your board definition. If its not listed in device policy/configmap you can add it and assign GFX1, or 2 as shown with other board IDS.
View attachment 213685 View attachment 213684

FakeSMC.kext 4000kext.zip
Here's the ZIP for the Sierra Public Launch 12.0 version with the 4000kext. try plugging this into EFI Clover Kext folders 10.11, 10.12?, and Other by replacing the existing ones you should already have there. Rename it on desktop by removing the 4000kext and space between.

Does this public beta patch work for the now public release 10.12.1??

Would love to know. Thanks

Does this public beta patch work for the now public release 10.12.1??

Would love to know. Thanks

Probably, it was made using the beta which is what became the first update. If it is incompatible, a message will pop up that the kext is corrupted or not installed properly.
Let me know, I'll make a new one with updated Kexts if it's not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back