Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I applyed the fixes on 10.12.1 and my Graphicbugs disappeared and it looks pretty smooth. I ran a Unigine Test to see if the performance has improvement but to my disappointment I only got about 21 FPS which are about 6 more than before the Update so on one Hand the smoothness of the Hackintosh has improved but performance in intense programs stays on about the same level on my RX480.

Try it on low settings, and do you have 2 monitors connected during boot? Maybe try one attached to vCard.

Has anyone had any luck with editing the AMDRadeonX4000.kext?

Lol, nothing of value is lost. I'm not native english speaker and have to repeat everything 5 times for the AI to understand. Also, it doesnt do much as of now.. I'm not impressed.
Well thats not entirely true, the biggest thing you will lose going back to 10.11 is full GUI driven by Metal API, which is a HUGE difference btw.

Hey folks,

i have made some further more investigations:

Plugged in my Sapphire R9 280x in PCI-Slot#1
Plugged in my Sapphire RX460 Nitro in PCI-Slot#2

Disabled IGPU in BIOS completely

started ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ with latest CLOVER Rev. 3769

System started perfectly, as shown in the following screens:

1) Systeminformation Monitor:
systeminfo.jpg

as you can see: just two VideoCards - one Radeon R9 280x and one Radeon RX460 Nitro

2) DPCIManager:
dpcimanager.jpg

So here you can see also just these two VideoCards: R9 280x and RX460 Nitro

3) IORegistryExplorer:
ioreg_gfx1.jpg

R9 280X in PCI-Slot#1 just loaded AMDRadeonX4000.kext while...
ioreg_gfx2.jpg

Radeon RX460 in PCI-Slot#2 just loaded AMDRadeonX4100.kext.

So, both cards running native right now - but i think the only reason for this is, because the Radeon R9 280x is running "out-of-the-box", even under macOS Sierra.

So my thougts are the following:
all we have to find out, is why is the R9 280x running "nativ out-of-the-box"?
Why we have to find out? Cause plugging the RX460 in Slot#1 (making THIS the primary gfx) and the R9 280X in Slot#2 (secondary gfx) gives the same black screen as using the RX460 on it's own (primary, stand-alone). Maybe it is just a VBios patch we need, maybe it is somewhat within AMD7000Controller.kext we have to investigate - but right now the only way to make it work is using a) IGPU as primary gfx or b) a working out-of-the-box card in first PCI-Slot as primary gfx.

! So, common people, let's get back to work and find out !

Hey folks,

i have made some further more investigations:

Plugged in my Sapphire R9 280x in PCI-Slot#1
Plugged in my Sapphire RX460 Nitro in PCI-Slot#2

Disabled IGPU in BIOS completely

started ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ with latest CLOVER Rev. 3769

System started perfectly, as shown in the following screens:

1) Systeminformation Monitor:
systeminfo.jpg

as you can see: just two VideoCards - one Radeon R9 280x and one Radeon RX460 Nitro

2) DPCIManager:
dpcimanager.jpg

So here you can see also just these two VideoCards: R9 280x and RX460 Nitro

3) IORegistryExplorer:
ioreg_gfx1.jpg

R9 280X in PCI-Slot#1 just loaded AMDRadeonX4000.kext while...
ioreg_gfx2.jpg

Radeon RX460 in PCI-Slot#2 just loaded AMDRadeonX4100.kext.

So, both cards running native right now - but i think the only reason for this is, because the Radeon R9 280x is running "out-of-the-box", even under macOS Sierra.

So my thougts are the following:
all we have to find out, is why is the R9 280x running "nativ out-of-the-box"?
Why we have to find out? Cause plugging the RX460 in Slot#1 (making THIS the primary gfx) and the R9 280X in Slot#2 (secondary gfx) gives the same black screen as using the RX460 on it's own (primary, stand-alone). Maybe it is just a VBios patch we need, maybe it is somewhat within AMD7000Controller.kext we have to investigate - but right now the only way to make it work is using a) IGPU as primary gfx or b) a working out-of-the-box card in first PCI-Slot as primary gfx.

! So, common people, let's get back to work and find out !

I'm in with you , I think the issue is we need reversed gop driver for AMD Cards.

Try it on low settings, and do you have 2 monitors connected during boot? Maybe try one attached to vCard.

I booted with one HDMI Plugged to Board and one to GFX. I just unplugged to BoardHDMI and now I have 140FPS on Low in Unigine Heaven. It works fully supported now :).

Finally got a fully supported RX480.
Thanks for everyone who helped me get to this one especially Gigamaxx and Flor!an.:clap:

I booted with one HDMI Plugged to Board and one to GFX. I just unplugged to BoardHDMI and now I have 140FPS on Low in Unigine Heaven. It works fully supported now :).

Finally got a fully supported RX480.
Thanks for everyone who helped me get to this one especially Gigamaxx and Flor!an.:clap:

Do you have to plug/unplug on each boot ?
Is IGFX set to primary ?
What brand and model of RX 480 are you using exactly ?

Last edited:
I ran the Unigine Benchmark. Please take it with a grain of salt.
Im pretty sure with that one could get better results with a better cooling solution (my r9 nano thermal throttles quite a bit).

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 14.54.39.png
@Mork_vom_Ork: i run more or less the same solution: one oob card for booting, the r9 nano for everything else.
My believe that it's a efi thing (or better put: DSDT related) intensifies because the key always seems to be to have another card active while clover does its work. As soon as the OS is fully booted most things just work.

So guys, i'm installing Sierra I got a R9 290X, works perfectly in El Capitan, but when the installation restart the pc, and I select the Sierra disk, to finish the installation, all I got it is a black screen, anyone knows what can I use to at least finish the installation, boot the OS properly, and try something inside the OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back