Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please forgive me, it seems my message lacked a necessary clarity.

I was not asking for help (indeed Toledo's frame buffer edits have worked well on my system since Yosemite). I was writing that I have encountered a situation that has remarkable similarities to that being encountered with the AMD cards. It may be only that ... remarkably similar yet unrelated, or it may be part of a pattern that can lead to an answer. I did include all of the necessary hardware and methods to lead to this reproducible result.

But again, please forgive me if that was not clear.
Hey jerry2345, I understand where you are coming from and thanks for the clarity. No need to ask for forgiveness, I'm no saint! I was just pointing you in the direction that would help and not cutting you off from the conversation, I was trying to keep this thread on topic. Plugging in two cables to the same monitor will give odd results as both the system and the OS sees the connection. The chosen output depends on the port layout. What it sees first, giving priority to the output in this case your DVI connection even when the DP connection is selected on the monitor. My guess here is you will definitely get a different result connecting both DVI and DP connections up to 2 separate monitors and when one is switched off the boot display will move.

@Fl0r!an I'm seeing a different result in macOS Sierra in terms of what "About This Mac" is displaying.
In the past setting IGPU as primary when connected to IGPU showed IGPU as primary graphics, this is no longer happening. Primary graphics in "About This Mac" is showing R9 380 and not Intel Iris Pro. Wonder if anyone else is seeing this? I'm injecting both 0x0D220003 and Lagotto using SSDT's, both have audio enabled yet macOS Sierra has chosen discreet over IGPU that is set to primary in the BIOS.

Well, put.
I've been reading these forums for last 3 days and still don't understand if Rx 480 works on sierra? and should I go with Asus, Gigabite, Msi, Sapphire or...?

It works, and will get better as time goes on. There are some catches that have to do with the igpu setup. The latest developer edition has much better support for the RX 480 before the latest it ran but was fairly unstable, I was able to do Uningine benchmarks on high and ultra high settings but not low settings. Now, it runs on any settings and my son played minecraft on it last night. I need to get steam going to try it out. Prior to this release I returned games were an instant crash. The drivers are being improved its really just a matter of whether we can get " dedicated graphics" working at some point. If you are uneasy, go green or with an older supported AMD model Gpu. The 30bit
I have personally ran 480, 470, and 460 models.

XFX RX 480 8gb reference model works, (Sapphire RX 480 8gb nitro per Mork), MSI RX 470 4gb gaming works, Sapphire RX 470 8gb nitro works, Gigabyte RX 460 2-4gb models work (no 6 pin power connector).
All these cards work with the ID change in 4000kext, and the 4100 kext which is coming soon to the public works the same way with increased stability.

My smoothest card to date was the MSI RX 470 4gb. I tried like heck to get the MSI RX 480 to work but no luck.
If you buy a XFX RX 480 8gb reference model, MSI RX 470 gaming, Sapphire RX 470, or Gigabyte RX 460 no 6pin power, they will work. Others may also work now, especially with the new drivers, but I know these cards work and not only run Unigine but actually pass a benchmark. Some of the other cards I tried had supported status but would not complete a Uningine benchmark.

Well, put.

It works, and will get better as time goes on. There are some catches that have to do with the igpu setup. The latest developer edition has much better support for the RX 480 before the latest it ran but was fairly unstable, I was able to do Uningine benchmarks on high and ultra high settings but not low settings. Now, it runs on any settings and my son played minecraft on it last night. I need to get steam going to try it out. Prior to this release I returned games were an instant crash. The drivers are being improved its really just a matter of whether we can get " dedicated graphics" working at some point. If you are uneasy, go green or with an older supported AMD model Gpu. The 30bit

XFX RX 480 8gb reference model works, (Sapphire RX 480 8gb nitro per Mork), MSI RX 470 4gb gaming works, Sapphire RX 470 8gb nitro works, Gigabyte RX 460 2-4gb models work (no 6 pin power connector).
All these cards work with the ID change in 4000kext, and the 4100 kext which is coming soon to the public works the same way with increased stability.

My smoothest card to date was the MSI RX 470 4gb. I tried like heck to get the MSI RX 480 to work but no luck.
If you buy a XFX RX 480 8gb reference model, MSI RX 470 gaming, Sapphire RX 470, or Gigabyte RX 460 no 6pin power, they will work. Others may also work now, especially with the new drivers, but I know these cards work and not only run Unigine but actually pass a benchmark. Some of the other cards I tried had supported status but would not complete a Uningine benchmark.
Thank you very much for such detailed explanation. is this a reference model? ---> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3P9CKI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 (they all have different part numbers) thanks again

Last edited:
Well, put.

I've a Xeon e3 and therefore I've no iGPU. Will my new msi rx 480 8gb run or is it not possible to see the boot Menu?
I installed Sierra final yesterday.

Thanks for your Great work on this!!

From our current knowledge it's not possible to use any recent AMD GPU without iGPU. It might be possible to install a Nvidia (or older AMD) "helper" card in PCIE slot 0, but that's quite pointless as it would be easier to go all-Nvidia.

Last edited:
I was able to get my r9 nano running using a 7950 as primary under 10.12.1 via editing the kext.
I have no monitors connected to the 7950, it just boots directly into sierra.
Does anyone have more technical details about the iGPU/primary issue here? Is it a efi related thing?

Setup:
CPU: i7-6800k
MoBo: GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
GPU0: xfx 7950
GPU1: xfx r9 nano

Nice! Would be interested in some benchmarks... ;) E.g. Unigine Valley, Extreme HD preset.

Regarding initalization issues: I don't know what exactly is causing this, the only thing I know for sure: Those issues (sleep/wake, boot to black screen) don't happen in genuine Mac Pros when using exactly the same video cards, without any helper GPU or any other hacks. Some part of power management doesn't seem to function properly on all Hackintoshs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back