Contribute
Register

macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a clue?

My GT740 has had native macOS support since about 10.12.5. Why not try to remove all vestiges of the Nvidia web driver and see what happens using native macOS drivers? Just a thought.

I have failed many times with this update.
After all, only these step work for my case:
1. Normal boot to macOS -> click update form Appstore -> then click reboot.
2. Boot from external USB (USB Installer) with "nv_disable=1" to internal SSD "macOS Installer form macOS" to initial the update.
3. Unplug USB installer and Reboot as normal.
Hope this help someone else same issue as mine.

hey guys so I've reverted to high sierra without the supplemental update. I have the gtx 1060 6gb. what are the steps to do the supplemental update without issues?
thanks

Massive problems after supplemental update. System was running fine under 10.3.0 v.1. Followed MMiles' steps:

First problem was that I couldn't get the box to boot the installer. Tried everything, but eventually removed Nvidia GT740 entirely and got it to install. Once updated I downloaded and installed the new Nvidia driver, reinstalled graphics card, and now the same problem as before persists. In -v mode the following error loops infinitely: IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState error in IOBufferEngineTest.

Took out g-card again, and I can boot the machine.

Anyone have a clue?
Same advise as from DrTom from me. It would at least simplify your setup.

Not that I had any issues, but I recently removed all the Nvidia web stuff from my config. The GT 740 is now natively supported.

I'm still trying to get this sorted. During install I never get the second part of the install where you boot "Install macOS"; the installer just ends up rebooting back to 17A365 after the first part completes. From what I'm seeing it really feels like (for some reason) the installer bails-out on the whole thing and just reboots before creating the "Install macOS" boot disk.

Could one of you resident geniuses take a look at the attached install log file? This is the install.log from the time that I opened the downloaded supplemental installer (linked in OP) to when I finished rebooting back into 17A365. Yeah, it's long. I read through the entire thing and, unfortunately, I'm not sure what's supposed to be there and what's not supposed to be there. For instance, I'm seeing stuff about FirmwareUpdateLauncher, but I don't know if that's OK or not.

Any pointers to what looks wrong in the log would be helpful.
Its expecting to boot from the recovery partition after restart... What is in your config.plist, SMBIOS values?

My GT740 has had native macOS support since about 10.12.5. Why not try to remove all vestiges of the Nvidia web driver and see what happens using native macOS drivers? Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Tom. I had blackscreenofdeath issues in 10.11. (if memory serves) that forced me to use them, as it is the only thing that got the system up and running.

At this point I'll try anything. So, I've uninstalled the Nvidia drivers via the preferencepane. What do I use in Clover then? nvda_drv=1? <key>NvidiaWeb</key><true/>? Do I need the Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, too?

I'm also having another issue regarding the Clover boot screen. During the installation process, I never saw a screen called "Install MacOS" but instead it was called "Boot MacOS Install Prebooter from Preboot" and there's also "Boot FileVault Install Prebooter from Preboot" alongside the main NVMe drive and Recovery partitions (and the annoying Micro$oft partitions I can't get rid of either). Anyway, now both of these are permanently listed, and the Clover boot icons are also distorted. IMG_4107.png

I'm including my config.plist in case that helps whatever it is I've done wrong.

Thanks,
Pato

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help, vulgo...

Its expecting to boot from the recovery partition after restart...

Are you seeing that in the log somewhere? Just out of curiosity, so I can understand this stuff better.

What is in your config.plist, SMBIOS values?

Here's the SMBIOS section:
Code:
    <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
        <string>08/21/2017</string>
        <key>BiosVendor</key>
        <string>Apple Inc.</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>IM142.88Z.0123.B00.1708211454</string>
        <key>Board-ID</key>
        <string>Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61</string>
        <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
        <key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
        <string>D25418500QXDJWMAD</string>
        <key>BoardType</key>
        <integer>10</integer>
        <key>BoardVersion</key>
        <string>iMac14,2</string>
        <key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
        <string>iMac-Aluminum</string>
        <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
        <key>ChassisType</key>
        <string>0x0D</string>
        <key>Family</key>
        <string>iMac</string>
        <key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
        <string>0xE00FE137</string>
        <key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <string>0xFF1FFF3F</string>
        <key>LocationInChassis</key>
        <string>Part Component</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <key>Mobile</key>
        <false/>
        <key>PlatformFeature</key>
        <string>0x01</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <key>SerialNumber</key>
        <string>C02P9EQSFLHH</string>
        <key>Version</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
    </dict>

Are you seeing that in the log somewhere? Just out of curiosity, so I can understand this stuff better.
Yes its close to the end, it copies the boot files to recovery partition and tries to set up NVRAM for firmware to boot from it, possibly a firmware update as you suspected. You might try starting the installer again forcing Clover's SMBIOS defaults, not sure how some of these values are decided recently so maybe best to leave them out.
Code:
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
</dict>

Yes its close to the end, it copies the boot files to recovery partition and tries to set up NVRAM for firmware to boot from it, possibly a firmware update as you suspected. You might try starting the installer again forcing Clover's SMBIOS defaults, not sure how some of these values are decided recently so maybe best to leave them out.
Code:
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>
<key>SerialNumber</key>
</dict>

OK, I took out everything but those three keys, rebooted and then ran the install again... same result.

Your info about the recovery partition made me see something. I have an extra (I think) recovery partition on my clover boot screen. It's been there since before trying this update. Perhaps that's what's making this not work. I didn't notice it until now, because I have other drives and my Clover boot screen was a cluttered mess. I disconnected everything but my boot drive and now I have three choices:

That middle one looks like the extra one (highlighted). When I try to boot from it, I get the circle with the line through it. The other recovery partition looks right and boots to Mac OS Utilities.

Is there some way I can get rid of that extra recovery partition?

edit: Now that I think about it, I don't need a recovery partition at all. I have a USB stick. How do I get rid of the Apple_Boot Recovery HD on the boot drive?

Last edited:
edit: Now that I think about it, I don't need a recovery partition at all. I have a USB stick. How do I get rid of the Apple_Boot Recovery HD on the boot drive?
Use can use Disk Utility. Show all disks, partition, remove the extra partition and grow your boot volume into the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back