Contribute
Register

MacOS / Gaming / Recommendations? 780TI? 4k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro 2010
CPU
2 x Xeon X5690
Graphics
Titan X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I've done a bit around here and here on the forum, I appreciate what you guys do. So here are my questions, and stuff..

I like to game, and I am sort of getting tired of Microsoft in general... It's becoming more of a pain than it is worth. With that being said, I want to try to get some stuff that does pretty well, but I haven't been able to find much. I've gotten my AMD Radeon R9-290x to work, but not @ 60hz, I've gotten the 780Ti to work, but again not 60Hz. I'm sort of wondering if this is just an issue with the hackintoshes or if this is a problem with the drivers in MacOS.

I run a Dell 32 Inch 4k display. I've noticed in Windows that AMD does a lot better with 4K than nvidia does at lease in 4k60 mode. It appears that MacOS just doesn't like 4k60 at all. My MacBook Pro 15inch Retina has no issues with 4k60 tho.

Should I start looking at the MacPro or is this still doable with hackintoshes?

Thanks,

Michael

As annoying as it can be having to go to Windows, I would not look at any other platform for gaming.

My opinion on 4K gaming is that the hardware has not caught up yet. I think the latest generation of GPUs are starting to comfortably deal with 1440, and thats as far as I would be willing to push it for the moment.

As for gaming on a MacPro, I wouldn't advise it. The GPUs are workstation grade and won't handle gaming in the same way.

Just my 2 pennies worth...

I am not very familiar with FirePro's. I have no problem using Windows as a backup for gaming, but want to look at the big picture, Windows 8.1 is clunky for a work station.

I was thinking about going with the MacPro with the dual D700's (6G of memory each), and the larger SSD. The rest of my stuff is just on my home QNAP SAN unit. So I was thinking I could dual boot from Mac OS to Windows if I want to game.

A single R9-290X games @ 4k60 perfectly for me. I haven't had much of an issue yet.

Thanks,

I guess it comes down to your personal use and the games you play.

For me, the difference in sheer numbers of games and the price in Windows library vs. OSX is huge. Thats enough justification for me to just put up with windows 8.1. Besides, it won't be long till Windows 10 comes out, which looks to be a improvement.

I would hazard a guess that the 290x would outperform the FirePros for gaming purposes, since the 290x is made for gaming, the FirePro isn't. In the context of a Hackintosh maybe this comparison is more complex.

Buying a MacPro for the purpose of having a improved native gaming experience in OSX is a rather large investment...!

I am buying it to have a native desktop that can do 4k60, and also do some gaming on the side if I choose. I do some video and photo editing as well, as just working on servers and stuff.

I do not game as much as I use too, Maybe once a month or so, but I do like to have the option.

I just have been unsuccessful with the AMD R9-290X, and the nVidia 780ti getting 4k @ 60 hz running natively with MacOS. So gaming is a very small portion of what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back