Contribute
Register

MacOS confuses EFI Partitions on two separate disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
HD 3000
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wondering if this is a known issue, my searches didn't produce results for my issue.

I've been running Sierra on the 2011 CustoMac Mini for years now. I wanted to try to install Catalina. But instead of risking my successful Sierra install, I bought a new SSD and installed Catalina fresh on there.

My logic board has 4 SATA ports. 2 are 6gb/s (port 0, port 1) and 2 are 3gb/s (port 2, port 3).

When I put the Catalina drive in the SATA port 0 and Sierra in port 1, I can only see the CATALINA disk as a boot option, but SIERRA still mounts on the desktop. When I switch drives only SIERRA is an option, but CATALINA still mounts on the desktop.

It's a separate issue, but I would like each drive to appear as an option, regardless of which disk is booting clover.

My main issue is, when I mount BOTH EFI PARTITIONS at the same time and try to modify my CONFIG file MacOS seems to have trouble.
I opened the Config file from the SIERRA disk and it showed boot disk as CATALINA. When I double click the 2nd Config file it just flashes into the CURRENT window.

I thought it was a problem with Clover Configurator, but the same behavior occurs when opening the Config files in Xcode or BBEdit.

When I look at the file path in different apps, it seems as though "EFI/" is considered to be "outside" or before the volume name. So my suspicion is that MacOS can't tell the difference between the two different EFI Partitions and thinks they are THE SAME partition. So it thinks the two different Config files are actually located in the same place and thus the same file.

It makes sense to me that Apple may have never expected to encounter two different EFI partitions simultaneously, especially in the Finder.

Is this a known issue? Is there any way around it?

I didn't try yet, but maybe I could move SIERRA to the slower SATA header (port 01, port 02) but if the issue is Volume/Partition name, I don't think SATA headers would make a difference.

Are you certain that you have Clover boot files in the EFI of both drives?
What happens if you disconnect one drive and try to boot the other?
Have you tried booting each drive with the other disconnected?

If you use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition, it should show two EFI partitions - one for each drive.
In any case, the Clover version on the Sierra drive will not Boot Mojave and may not even show an icon for it. OTOH, the Mojave version of Clover should show an icon for the Sierra drive and be able to boot it.

About the EFI confusion, it's standard behaviour as they have the same UUID even on real Macs. The best way, if you need to open two config.plist together, is to put one on your desktop then put it back where it belongs.
For you not to be confused between the EFIs, I give you this simple trick: put on each one a file which name is "EFI of the SSD", etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back