Contribute
Register

macOS Catalina won't update from 10.15.5 to 10.15.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone fix this? I am trying to update to 10.15.17 but it wont let me, neither did it to 10.15.6. I have upgraded to the latest clover but it still behaves the same, it reboots (with not graphical support) and shows me that the update is ready to be installed.

Hi,

I managed to fix this issue.

Follow the next steps, even though I couldn't find those anywhere.
1. Assuming you already initiated the upgrade, or else download it from https://support.apple.com and install it as any other dmg software (it's installable).
2. When you reboot, you need to detect the installer icon in your boot loader. Those entries are usually hidden in Clover. If you can't locate it, it won't carry on with the installation. If this is the case, press the 'F3' key while you are in the Clover menu. The new hidden 'Boot UEFI Internal From EFI' images should appear. Select the one that corresponds to your EFI boot drive. In my system there are two EFI partitions on two separate drives. I use the second drive as the OSX boot device, so I selected the second hidden 'Boot UEFI Internal From EFI' image.
3. You will be presented with a new Clover boot menu. Now, you'll need to select 'Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot'.
4. The boot should take you into the installation phase where you'll see the installer's installation bar progresses.
5. The system may automatically reboot during this phase, so make sure to repeat steps 2-4.
6. At the end of the installation you may see an error message: 'The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk' (see attached screenshot) with a 'Restart' button at the bottom. Ignore this message and hit 'Restart' as this actually means you are done.
7. Now, at the Clover menu, select your OSX boot image, as per normal boot and the system should complete the installation (the boot time may be a bit longer, waiting to finalise the latest installation).
8. Now you will be asked to re-login to iCloud. If you reached this step, you're almost done.

I hope this guide helps those who still struggle with upgrading Catalina, as I was.

All the best.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I had been plagued by this issue for every Catalina OS update. The only way I could update was to download the latest installer from the App Store and upgrade via USB stick. I right pain I can tell you. I tried the above from Shachar but it did not work for me.

Today I noticed there was a Clover update to v5126 and I applied this. I then tried the update again and... hey pres·to IT WORKED!!! There was no video signal during upgrading with 2 reboots (I have an RX 5700 XT) but upon login all is working as it should.

Hi all,

Just confirmed my above mentioned instructions with the latest macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update that was made available this week.

The entire upgrade process took about 10-15 minutes.

I am using Clover version 5126.

Cheers.

Hi,

I managed to fix this issue.

Follow the next steps, even though I couldn't find those anywhere.
1. Assuming you already initiated the upgrade, or else download it from https://support.apple.com and install it as any other dmg software (it's installable).
2. When you reboot, you need to detect the installer icon in your boot loader. Those entries are usually hidden in Clover. If you can't locate it, it won't carry on with the installation. If this is the case, press the 'F3' key while you are in the Clover menu. The new hidden 'Boot UEFI Internal From EFI' images should appear. Select the one that corresponds to your EFI boot drive. In my system there are two EFI partitions on two separate drives. I use the second drive as the OSX boot device, so I selected the second hidden 'Boot UEFI Internal From EFI' image.
3. You will be presented with a new Clover boot menu. Now, you'll need to select 'Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot'.
4. The boot should take you into the installation phase where you'll see the installer's installation bar progresses.
5. The system may automatically reboot during this phase, so make sure to repeat steps 2-4.
6. At the end of the installation you may see an error message: 'The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk' (see attached screenshot) with a 'Restart' button at the bottom. Ignore this message and hit 'Restart' as this actually means you are done.
7. Now, at the Clover menu, select your OSX boot image, as per normal boot and the system should complete the installation (the boot time may be a bit longer, waiting to finalise the latest installation).
8. Now you will be asked to re-login to iCloud. If you reached this step, you're almost done.

I hope this guide helps those who still struggle with upgrading Catalina, as I was.

All the best.
Having the same problem here.
I did everything u said, but when I open the install prebooter from preboot the update bar don’t show up.
I’ve waited 2 hours just staring the apple logo and nothing.
Tried enabling and disabling SIP, tried multiple download links and still same problem.
I’m at 10.15.3 right now, really need the update to keep my job. help please!

I have the same issue :( stucked on catalina update, i reboot but do not update
i'm in clover r5122

I have the same issue :( stucked on catalina update, i reboot but do not update
i'm in clover r5122
I m on r5108, in the past, all the update went without issue till the recent Catalina 2021-003 security update cause it to reboot but stuck at the apple logo and don't update with no progress bar.

Tried to delete the update and reinstall still doesn't work.

the only method I haven't try is to update clover as I failed a couple of times trying to update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back