Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> macOS Big Sur 11.6.1 - CPU Spikes and Audio Dropouts (i5-11400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Prime B560-Plus
CPU
i5-11400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I could use some guidance regarding CPU spikes and audio dropouts when producing music on my Hack.

The CPU spikes and audio dropouts (within Logic Pro X 10.7.1 and Studio One 5.4.1) are occurring with what should be minimal load, very few plugin instances. My system appears to be running without issue in all other aspects. I would like to note that I didn’t encounter these issues using the same exact software, software versions, and external hardware on my previous system. I upgraded some hardware due to motherboard failure:

Previous Hardware on Big Sur 11.6.1

ASRock H97m Pro4
Intel i7-4790K
24GB DDR3 1600MHz
Fenvi T919 (BT/WiFi)
XFX RX 580 8GB
Crucial MX300 500GB
Behringer UMC1820

Current Hardware and Configuration on macOS Big Sur 11.6.1

ASUS Prime B560-Plus (latest BIOS 1030, tested 1017)
Intel i5-11400
32GB DDR4 3200MHz (at 2666Mhz to avoid USB eject during sleep)
Fenvi T919 (BT/WiFi)
XFX RX 580 8GB
WD SN750SE 500GB
Behringer UMC1820

Bootloader: Clover r5142

ACPI > Patched (EDITED)

SSDT-AWAC.aml (Generated via corpnewt SSDTTime script)
SSDT-PLUG.aml (Generated via corpnewt SSDTTime script)
SSDT-RHUB-Reset.aml (Generated via corpnewt SSDTTime script)
SSDT-EC.aml (Generated via corpnewt SSDTTime script)
SSDT-USBX.aml (prebuilt - Dortania)

Kexts > Other

IntelMausi.kext (1.0.7)
Lilu.kext (1.5.6)
NVMeFix.kext (1.0.9)
SMCProcessor.kext (1.2.7)
SMCSuperIO.kext (1.2.7)
USBMap.kext (1.0 - Properly mapped for my system via corpnewt USBMap script)
VirtualSMC.kext (1.2.7)
Whatevergreen.kext (1.5.4)

System Overview:

Hackintosh Overview.png

BIOS Settings - Attached folder containing screenshots of all BIOS settings that should be pertinent.
EFI (Updated) - Attached below (excluding S/N and SmUUID in config.plist).

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Attachments

• BIOS Settings Screenshots.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 120
  • EFI.zip
    27.1 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Which Power Supply Unit (PSU) are you using?

Did you replace the PSU when you built the new system or did you use the same PSU as used with your Haswell system?

The CPU spikes could be from the old PSU not working correctly.

Yes, I’m using the same PSU, a Corsair CX750M.

I just tested with a spare Thermaltake TR2 500w, same issues.

I also followed Dortania’s guide and configured OpenCore for my system, just to confirm it wasn’t isolated to my Clover configuration, and still encounter the same behavior.

I was referencing the Z590 compatibility guide and saw the following:

• Both CML and RKL CPUs are XCPM-compatible. However, stock XCPM frequency vectors will generally halve the performance, and need to be replaced with custom ones through CPUFriend.

Can’t figure out if this has any relevance to my situation as I’ve had difficulty comprehending the guides I’ve found and the implications of such changes.

CFL = Coffee Lake & RKL = Refresh Kaby Lake. You have a Rocket Lake system, so that XCPM issue doesn't reference your system.

If the CPU spikes are not restricted to macOS, but also occur on Windows/Linux then it is more likely to be a Hardware issue.

Obviously not the PSU, if the same spikes occur with the other PSU installed.

I would strip out/disconnect anything unessential for running the system to eliminate those devices from the troubleshooting process. I matters little whether that is in Windows, Linux or macOS. But you need to make sure WiFi/BT card, Behringer unit, USB drives, DVD/CD writer, Card reader plus any spinning drives etc. are disconnected when troubleshooting this issue.

See if the spike occur when the bare minimum is connected to get the system running an OS.

Bios Screenshots:
  • 211116200031.BMP - AI Overclock Tuner & XMP - try disabling/setting as Auto these two options while trouble shooting the CPU spikes
  • 211116200118.BMP - Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology - should be Enabled.
  • 211116200118.BMP - Hyper-Threading - should be Enabled.
  • 211116200434.BMP - Mass Storage Devices - shows a number of USB devices are connected, disconnect them all during the troubleshooting process.
  • 211116200509.BMP - Serial Port Configuration - the Serial port should be disabled. You didn't show a screenshot for this items sub-menu, so I am assuming it is enabled.
  • 211116200658.BMP - Fast Boot - should be Disabled when running macOS.
Those are the items I would change. See if they make a difference.

EFI folder:

You can delete the /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder, it is not required or used when the new folder /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI is present and populated.

You can delete the numbered (10.11 - 10.15, 11 and 12) and Off sub-folders from your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts folder. You only need to retain the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

You can delete the /EFI/CLOVER/OEM/SystemProductName folder and contents.

You can delete any unused/unwanted themes from the /EFI/CLOVER/themes folder. You only need to retain the one you are referencing in your config.plist.

Config.plist:
Easier to show the changes I would recommend in the following screenshots. Anything highlighted within a red rectangle needs to be changed from disabled to enabled or if already enabled/populated to disabled/unpopulated.

ACPI 1
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.45.17.png
This is different in that it contains three rename patches that your system doesn't use. The three highlighted and the Mats table can be deleted.

Your system used the XHCI name, not XHC1. So you need to add a new rename patch for XHCI to XHC.

Missing ACPI fixes.

ACPI 2
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.45.58.png Missing ACPI fixes

Boot
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.46.16.png Enable 'NeverHibernate'

Devices
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.46.33.png Remove entries for all Fake ID boxes

Graphics
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.46.59.png RadeonDeInit=true is required for your RX580 dGPU

K&K Patches
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.47.11.png Add KernelXCPM=true

RT Variables
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.47.28.png Once your SMBIOS has been fully populated you need to generate a ROM, based on your SMBIOS. This will help with Messages etc.

System Parameters
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.47.49.png Inject System ID is not required.

Quirks - Booter
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.47.58.png Enable RebuildAppleMemoryMap

Quirks - Kernel
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 20.48.08.png Enable PowerTimeoutKernelPanic

See if that makes any difference along with the Bios changes previously recommended.

These are three other ACPI rename patches you may want to add to your config.plist.
  • Change H_EC to EC
  • Change SAT0 to SATA
  • Change GLAN to GIGE
They look like this in Clover Configurator.
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 21.18.39.png

Thank you for taking the time to reference my config and point out any potential issues pertaining to my hardware.

I tested variations of BIOS settings over the last several days, minus VMX (Enabled) and Fast Boot (Disabled). Making all of the noted BIOS and config changes in tandem, including disconnecting all unnecessary hardware and peripherals, didn't provide any new results unfortunately.

I also downloaded all necessary software and attempted to reproduce the performance issues in Windows, no issues in Windows 11. Performance in Windows was outstandingly good in comparison, no CPU spikes and audio dropouts in aforementioned software.

CFL = Coffee Lake & RKL = Refresh Kaby Lake. You have a Rocket Lake system, so that XCPM issue doesn't reference your system.

In regards to that particular guide it's referencing Rocket Lake (11th Gen). The Z590 only supports Comet Lake and Rocket Lake CPU's.

At this point I'm guessing it would be useful to do some Cinebench benchmarks between Windows and macOS as noted in the guide as well, then proceed with attempting to correct the power management issues if there are some drastic differences.

(Edit) Cinebench Benchmark Results (Windows vs macOS):

Single Core
Single Core Performance.png

Multi-Core
Multi-Core Performance.png

MP Ratio
MP Ratio.png

There are some obvious performance differences between Windows and macOS on the same hardware. I'm assuming the nearly identical MP Ratio on both OS's is indication that both single and multi-core are taking an equal hit in performance.

Update: Testing the
supplied 'CPUFriendDataProvider.kext' by vit9696 to inject proper frequency vectors for Rocket Lake made no noticeable difference either. His tests were done with an i7-11700K.

Last edited:
Due to my own ignorance I didn't realize that CPUFriend.kext needed to be used alongside CPUFriendDataProvider.kext.

Thankfully, this appears to be solved. Single Core (left) performance still lags behind Windows slightly in benchmarks, but is improved. Multi-Core (right) performance is benchmarking higher than Windows currently. You can see all the previous Single Core scans performed prior to and following the changes, two highest are the most recent with CPUFriend and vit6969's custom XCPM frequency vectors injected.

Single and Multi Core Performance Update.png

Instructions:

1. Download the latest release of CPUFriend by Acidanthera HERE.
2. Refer to the CPU section of the Dortania Z590 compatibility guide to acquire the custom 'CPUFriendDataProvider.kext' provided by vit6969.
3. Place the 'CPUFriend.kext' and 'CPUFriendDataProvider.kext' files under "EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other".
4. Restart your computer.
5. Run Cinebench benchmarks to test the changes.

While monitoring you should notice much more stable and improved performance on your Rocket Lake CPU with iMac20,x SMBIOS.

NOTES: macOS Big Sur 11.6.1, iMac20,1, i5-11400, ASUS Prime B560-Plus, CPUFriend.kext (1.2.4).

(EDIT): For further reference, here are the Geekbench scores, pre (right) and post (left) the changes noted above.

Geekbench Pre and Post CPUFriend.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back