Contribute
Register

macOS 14 Sonoma Public Beta is Now Available

Has anyone experienced Dropbox failing to launch after the OCLP patch for WiFi? I noticed something like this on my Optimax 9020 USFF after upgrading to Ventura and using OCLP releases to patch the Haswell iGPU. Dropbox ceased to launch and I couldn't reinstall Dropbox. Even the Dropbox betas failed. The problem is definitely tied to OCLP patches.

P.S. Dropbox worked before the WiFi patch was installed. I was even able to save all files offline on an HDD that I use for storage on the GA-Z87MX-DH3 rig spoofed to Mac Pro 7,1.

That was cool, since Dropbox was being corralled into Apple's garden (the CloudStorage folder). Many Dropbox subscribers complained bitterly about being limited to a cloud server.

Incidentally, iCloud storage works seamlessly with the Sonoma beta. So, anything to frustrate Dropbox users is likely part of the Master Plan.

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced Dropbox failing to launch after the OCLP patch for WiFi? I noticed something like this on my Optimax 9020 USFF after upgrading to Ventura and using OCLP releases to patch the Haswell iGPU. Dropbox ceased to launch and I couldn't reinstall Dropbox. Even the Dropbox betas failed. The problem is definitely tied to OCLP patches.

P.S. Dropbox worked before the WiFi patch was installed. I was even able to save all files offline on an HDD that I use for storage on the GA-Z87MX-DH3 rig spoofed to Mac Pro 7,1.

That was cool, since Dropbox was being corralled into Apple's garden (the CloudStorage folder). Many Dropbox subscribers complained bitterly about being limited to a cloud server.

Incidentally, iCloud storage works seamlessly with the Sonoma beta. So, anything to frustrate Dropbox users is likely part of the Master Plan.
only 1 system belongs in:

use signature for your other systems:

Incidentally, iCloud storage worked seamlessly since so long ago I can not remember. As much as it pains me to say it Google drive works pretty damn good as well. I have always found Dropbox to be um-well intrusive. Even more so when I was a Windows user. I do not think Apple has some master plan to make DropBox users angry, I think DropBox is a bad product. /shrug!

Incidentally, iCloud storage worked seamlessly since so long ago I can not remember. As much as it pains me to say it Google drive works pretty damn good as well. I have always found Dropbox to be um-well intrusive. Even more so when I was a Windows user. I do not think Apple has some master plan to make DropBox users angry, I think DropBox is a bad product. /shrug!
Agree. My clients used it for years because DB was one of the first cloud storage services. OneDrive is the real joke. I lost dozens of images that lost their headers and so cannot be opened. But there is some mystery problem that is related to OCLC and Hackintosh. I use OCLC to update a 2013 MacBook Pro with nVidia graphics. Dropbox still works on that laptop. (And I've not found someone with the same issue yet. I mean it could be something I did. But Dropbox is gone on two very different Hacks.)

Agree. My clients used it for years because DB was one of the first cloud storage services. OneDrive is the real joke. I lost dozens of images that lost their headers and so cannot be opened. But there is some mystery problem that is related to OCLC and Hackintosh. I use OCLC to update a 2013 MacBook Pro with nVidia graphics. Dropbox still works on that laptop. (And I've not found someone with the same issue yet. I mean it could be something I did. But Dropbox is gone on two very different Hacks.)

OCLP very well might cause the problem you should make a post on OCLP site under bugs. I would guess if this off topic convo continues they will start deleting the posts.

OCLP very well might cause the problem you should make a post on OCLP site under bugs. I would guess if this off topic convo continues they will start deleting the posts.
I don't think there is venue there to post this kind of bug. This issue is really more of an orphan topic. I just need to find out if it's a one-off.

If you've used OCLP Beta to enable WiFi in Sonoma, you need to disable the added kexts and the special Entry in Kernel/Block (Allow IOSkywalk Downgrade) this also must be disabled. The boot-arg entry amfi=0x80 must be removed and the csr-active-config entry 03080000 must be replaced with 00000000.

In other words, the state of Sonoma setup must be as before the OCLP Patch was applied and vanilla as possible for the update to be applied without the error message you're getting.
Don't forget to reboot and reset Nvram after you make all the above mentioned changes then try to get the update.

After the update is finished, you will need to re-do the whole Sonoma OCLP routine to enable WiFI again by enabling the kexts and entries etc in config.plist and run the Sonoma Opencore Patcher again. Unfortunately until the OCLP Devs developed a better way, that is the only way at the moment.
Hmmm... if the lack of Fenvi support persists once Sonoma is in general release this fall, I wonder if we'll be having to do this disable/enable routine for every Sonoma update afterwards? Maybe it would be a good idea to keep two separate EFI folders at the ready, one with everything disabled and one with everything enabled, to swap in and out before and after doing updates.

if the lack of Fenvi support persists once Sonoma is in general release
If support is already missing now, in Sonoma beta, there's no way it's going to be added back this Fall. Apple never does that. Acidanthera might come up with a simpler solution for Broadcom wireless support than the current one by then. Only time will tell.

Back