Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
softwareupdate.png
Today Apple released macOS 14.4 Update, a major software update for macOS Sonoma. Update any supported system using the built-in Software Update functionality through macOS System Settings.

What we know about 14.4 so far...
  • macOS Build 23E214
  • Updated graphics, audio drivers
  • USB changes/issues affecting all Macs
  • Intel Wifi changes - v2.3.0-alpha version of OpenIntelWireless/itlwm is required for 14.4 and available here.
  • Install macOS Sonoma App has been updated - If you downloaded macOS Sonoma from the App Store prior to today, and you want to have the latest version on your backup installer USB, simply log into the Mac App Store and click Download. The updated Install macOS Sonoma App can be found in the Applications folder.
macOS Sonoma 14.4— Restart Required

macOS Sonoma 14.4 introduces new emoji as well as other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your Mac.

Emoji
• New mushroom, phoenix, lime, broken chain, and shaking heads emoji are now available in emoji keyboard
• 18 people and body emoji support facing the opposite direction

This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
• Podcasts Episode text can be read in full, searched for a word or phrase, clicked to play from a specific point and used with accessibility features such as Text Size, Increase Contrast, and VoiceOver
• Business Updates in Messages for Business let you get updates that you've opted into, like order status, flight notifications, fraud alerts or other transactions from trusted businesses
• Safari Favorites Bar adds an option to show only icons for websites

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices. For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Testing is now underway- this post will be updated. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! Report your results here.

Related:

Last edited:
While macOS 14.4 Sonoma includes new features, it’s a fairly modest update. This is at least partially a result of Apple’s need to bring truly significant changes in iOS 17.4 and the iPadOS equivalent to comply with a new European Union law, likely taking up much of the company’s attention.

Nevertheless, Mac users will get a fresh crop of emoji. The list includes a phoenix, a breaking chain and other emoji that were approved by the Unicode Consortium last year.

And in macOS 14.4, the Apple Podcasts app will be able to automatically generate transcripts for shows.

With the release candidate going out today, the final version will likely go to all Mac users on Monday, March 11.

Apple’s macOS 14.4 release notes:​

macOS Sonoma 14.4 introduces new emoji as well as other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your Mac.

Emoji

• New mushroom, phoenix, lime, broken chain, and shaking heads emoji are now available in emoji keyboard
  • 18 people and body emoji support facing the opposite direction
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
  • Podcasts Episode text can be read in full, searched for a word or phrase, clicked to play from a specific point and used with accessibility features such as Text Size, Increase Contrast, and VoiceOver
  • Business Updates in Messages for Business let you get updates that you’ve opted into, like order status, flight notifications, fraud alerts or other transactions from trusted businesses
  • Safari Favorites Bar adds an option to show only icons for websites

For those that rely on OC Legacy Patcher...

Do not upgrade to 14.4 just yet if you use a non-metal GPU. OCLP is not able to patch these to work with 14.4.

Screen_Shot_18.jpg

One example is the GTX 1050 (Ti). Stay with macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 until the Legacy Patcher is updated to support non-metal graphics. HD3000 should also be included in this list.

macOS 14.4 is currently unusable on non-Metal due to an issue regarding login sessions. End users should not update. The symptoms are as follows.
  • loginwindow crashes on first 1-2 attempts to login
  • loginwindow crashes during shutdown
  • apps aren't tracked correctly; force quit dialog is always empty, apps can't receive keyboard focus, menubar usually doesn't appear

Last edited:
Please post help requests in the Sonoma Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

Pre Update Notes
:
- This update may break some of your Sonoma functions. Make sure you backup first. :thumbup:

Note: Before you update, make sure your USB ports are properly mapped. I recommend you use this procedure:

Here's the step by step way to update OC:

Somona 14.4 causes Problems to most hackintoshs unless you do the following:

- Make sure you use the latest versions of the Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.

:ch:
Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;

Update to the latest OpenCore 0.9.7 or newer.
See the tonymacx86 Clover Builds (in Download menu) to update Clover. To update your OpenCore, see this guide. To convert from Clover to Open Core, see this guide.
:ch: Download OCAuxiliaryTools (OCAT):
https://github.com/ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools
:ch: Follow the OCAT Guide:
https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/blob/main/D_Updating_OpenCore/README.md
:ch: After completing the Update, reboot.
:ch: Upon reaching the Desktop, open the Terminal and execute:
Code:
nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:opencore-version
Confirm you have updated OC to 0.9.7 or newer.

Download the Sonoma 14.4. Update from Apple's Mac App Store using System Preferences > Software Update, and run it - the updater will reboot upon completion.
Note: Update will reboot three times; each time Clover/OpenCore picks the correct boot partition. So, sit back and relax. The update takes 3 reboots and ~30 minutes to complete.​

Done!
:thumbup:

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 11.37.55 AM.png

After updating, you can
  • Reset SecureBootModel to Default
  • Enable all WiFi and Bluetooth kexts if they've been updated.

Please post help requests in the Sonoma Desktop Support Forum section (not in this thread).

It started OK ...
Let's see if it will boot successfully ..

1709844783314.png

Update:

1709844812970.png

• macOS Build 23E521
... Above we have a different version : 23E214

Last edited:
  • macOS Build 23E521
... Above we have a different version : 23E214
23E214 is the correct build version.

If you are unable to install Sonoma 14.4 update, make sure SecureBootModel is set to Disabled. Once it has updated successfully, you can change it back to Default.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 2.33.34 PM.png

macOS 14.4 (23E214) with OpenCore 0.9.8
截圖 2024-03-08 06.32.21a.png

And unfortunately my build also required SecureBootModel=Disabled for updating this time.

Can I upgrade to this version 14.4
With a Haswell system, it's probable that it will work. Can't say for sure until you try it.
I would update OC or just wait to see how it goes for others.

make sure SecureBootModel is set to Disabled

Updated my Comet Lake system (Wombat) today from 14.3, where I had everything working, including WiFi after OCLP patching. Update was slow but completed okay. However, OCLP patches not working so I have lost WiFi. OCLP (latest release version) appears to perform patches normally but WiFi does not work. Possible that an OCLP update will be required to get WiFi working again.

Since I posted this, I see that there is a new version of OCLP (1.4.1), with the recommendation that: “If upgrading to macOS 14.4, you MUST install OCLP 1.4.1 beforehand.”

Last edited:
Back