Contribute
Register

macOS 12.3 Update Causes Problems for 5700/6800/6900 Graphics Cards

Be aware that if you're running a 6800/6900XT there are serious performance issues with 12.3, my geekbench score dropped by about half.

I can confirm this is also the case on my iMac 2020 27 inch 64gb RAM system with external AMD w6800 GPU. I cannot use the machine to edit videos unless I unplug the external GPU. Hopefully Apple will patch very soon.

12.3.1 is out, and mentions controller breakage fix, but AMD issue? not a single mention, so I wouldn't hold breath.

And yes they definitely know about it, so if it's not fixed then it further lends to it being intentional. of course, there is still a tiny chance they fixed it silently without mentioning it so we'll see.

12.3.1 is out, and mentions controller breakage fix, but AMD issue? not a single mention, so I wouldn't hold breath.

And yes they definitely know about it, so if it's not fixed then it further lends to it being intentional. of course, there is still a tiny chance they fixed it silently without mentioning it so we'll see.

Any brave souls willing to give the update a shot? I will do it, but I'm at work now, so it won't be for another 8 h or so.

If the 12.3.1 update disrupts our framebuffer injection fix, then I'll believe in the conspiracy theory that Apple intentionally sabotaged the OEM cards! :D

For me, 12.3.1 solve Radeon 5700 problem.
All works, without artifacts and geekbench is identical compared with 12.2.1
No Device Properties hack

That's good news, I'll run some tests soon as well, I'm doing a full backup first because if there is one lesson, don't trust macOS updates. once i have a restore point I'll do update.

If they did fix it, and chose to be silent about it, that's still sus as hell. Still indicates it's more of a roll back than a bug fix.

That's good news, I'll run some tests soon as well, I'm doing a full backup first because if there is one lesson, don't trust macOS updates. once i have a restore point I'll do update.

If they did fix it, and chose to be silent about it, that's still sus as hell. Still indicates it's more of a roll back than a bug fix.

I personally think that they were in a rush to line up the graphics drivers for the new Macs that they forgot to provide support for the alternative configs, like the OEM cards installed in the PCI slots or eGPU's. I think these setups with genuine Apple hardware are a pretty small population. As we figured out, the fix is relatively simple. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here, but I understand if people believe there is something more nefarious at foot!

I've been literally waiting for an official update before purchasing a 6900XT (6800XT would make more sense considering the MSRP difference, but in actuality they are pretty much the same price). Any brand recommendations?

Back