Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to extract the MLB (Board Serial) from the original Clover based MacMan Mojave installation? I would like to keep serials and everything the same when upgrading.

Does anyone know how to extract the MLB (Board Serial) from the original Clover based MacMan Mojave installation? I would like to keep serials and everything the same when upgrading.
In my opinion, I wouldn't suggest you doing that (maybe I am wrong please correct me if so). Apple is using SMBios settings to determine which machine you are using. The serial you are using for your mac should be unique. What you can do is generate a serial, test the coverage with Apple. Once you are happy then copy MLB, System Serial ETC into a text file for future use.

It's the exact same system. The plan is to upgrade the Mojave partition to Monterey. First step is replacing the Clover EFI with Opencore EFI. Changing serials would complicate things I think, but please correct me when my assumption is wrong.

It's the exact same system. The plan is to upgrade the Mojave partition to Monterey. First step is replacing the Clover EFI with Opencore EFI. Changing serials would complicate things I think, but please correct me when my assumption is wrong.
just use your original one that you created yourself

Thanks, one remaining question, howto extract the MLB (Board Serial) from the Mojave (Clover) install?

Thanks, one remaining question, howto extract the MLB (Board Serial) from the Mojave (Clover) install?
it will be in your config.plist

however, this is the end user (yourself) would create your own using clover configurator

It's not in there. It likely has not been generated at the time (according docs it's not required). I always had trouble with Message and Facetime. Is the MLB is also used with Message and Facetime? MLB and serial number are logically related with each another. Is it possible to generate a valid MLB with an existing serial number?

It's not in there. It likely has not been generated at the time (according docs it's not required). I always had trouble with Message and Facetime. Is the MLB is also used with Message and Facetime? MLB and serial number are logically related with each another. Is it possible to generate a valid MLB with an existing serial number?
as mentioned, you will generate your own serials etc after you have installed macOS

Let's start fresh then with new serials.

Upgraded my 2 equal ASUS TUF Z390 PRO GAMING clones to Monterey.
Thanks for all the help.

Followed these steps (as far as I remember):
  • Make sure you have a second computer.
  • Create a backup of data. I used SuperDuper!.
  • Turn on VNC/Screenshare/Remote Desktop in Mojave (just in case).
  • Setup USB Stick with OpenCore EFI and Monterey Install (installinstallmacos.py) using the official Guide & Coffee Lake instructions.
  • Create USB map when still running Mojave and add it to the EFI (USB Stick).
  • Add BlueToolFixup.kext from https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM to EFI (USB Stick)
  • Since I have a RX590 external card, I have set AAPL,ig-platform-id to 0300913E.
  • I'm using the reported troublesome Samsung SSD 970 EVO. Therefore I have set SetApfsTrimTimeout to 4294967295.
  • Boot from USB and select Install Monterey, this starts the standard Apple Monterey installation. If it finds Mojave on the selected target, it will upgrade (all standard Apple Monterey installation). Apple doesn't ask if you want to upgrade or perform a new installation.
  • When it rebooted the first time, I selected my Ubuntu Partition and replaced the Clover EFI on the HDD with the Opencore EFI from the USB Stick (leaving the Ubuntu EFI directory in place). This could also be done in an earlier stage, but if something went wrong, I was not sure if the existing Mojave install would correctly boot with Opencore.
  • Reboot and let the Monterey Installation complete.
EFI attached. Please note to fill in these fields before using:

@@ -969,13 +969,13 @@ <data>AAAAAAAA</data>
<key>AdviseFeatures</key>
<false/>ofVendor</key>
<key>MLB</key>
- <string>CHANGEMECHANGEME!</string>
<key>MaxBIOSVersion</key>ey>
<false/>iMac19,1</string>
<key>ProcessorType</key>/key>
<integer>0</integer></string>
<key>ROM</key>
- <data>AAAAAAAA</data>
<key>SpoofVendor</key>
<true/>
<key>SystemMemoryStatus</key>
@@ -983,9 +983,9 @@
<key>SystemProductName</key>
<string>iMac19,1</string>
<key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
- <string>CHANGECHANGE</string>
<key>SystemUUID</key>
- <string>CHANGEME-CHAN-GEME-CHAN-GEMECHANGEME</string>
</dict>
<key>UpdateDataHub</key>
<true/>

ROM is the Ethernet MAC Address.
The other fields can be obtained with GenSMBIOS (https://github.com/corpnewt/GenSMBIOS).

Let me know if you find anything wrong in here (would be much appreciated), for now the 2 systems are running fine without issues.

Attachments

• efimontereydistrib.zip
    4 MB · Views: 92
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back