1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
MacAlienware17 - Alienware 17 / M17X-R5

MacAlienware17

Hi,
I hear you are the man to consult, regarding a build/install....

I have purchased.....

[TR="bgcolor: transparent"] [TR="class: uif_t_altRow, bgcolor: transparent"] [TR="bgcolor: transparent"] [TR="bgcolor: transparent"] [TR="class: uif_t_altRow, bgcolor: transparent"]
1 210-ACKC Alienware 17 Base
1 490-BBRW NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 880M graphics with 8GB total GDDR5
1 555-BBEQ Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0
1 338-BCHU 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
1 391-BBEM 17.3 inch (439.42 mm) WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display

I have purchased upgrades.....

2 x CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8G) DDR3 SO-DDR3 2133 CMSX16GX3M2B2133C11, for a total of 32GB

2 x Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB (MZ-7TE1T0BW) SSD, for a total of 2TB, for use in RAID for Windows 8.1

Samsung
250GB 840 EVO mSATA SSD MZ-MTE250BW, for OS X

Panasonic UJ265 Slot 6x Blu-ray Burner

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD Directly from Apple

2 x CORSAIR Flash Voyager 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive CMFVY3A-16GB

I would really really appreciate any help you could give on getting OS X up and running. I would like to get Snow Leopard running, and then download and create a install USB disk for the upgrade to 10.9 Mavericks. I think that is the most current?

Thanks very very much. I'm very excited to get back on a Mac, and I think this build should be reasonably powerful as well. I will use it to learn Logic, for a possible career change.

Thank you thank you thank you!

NerdSpicoli

Might work, but you won't be able to use the Nvidia GPU if it's an optimus setup.

Also, it would be a bit of a challenge to get snow leo up and running first. Can't you find a real mac to borrow for a few minutes?

MacAlienware17 - Alienware 17 / M17X-R5

Thanks for the response, and my apology for not reading more on the subject, before I posted in the first place..... I assume you are referring to the need for a USB boot disk for Mavericks, for the purpose of CPU compatibility??

Is the video card issue something that might be solved down the road? I'm used to keeping my Windows drivers up to date, so if it's a matter of checking back in the future for some sort of patch or whatever, I'm down with that =)

I'm totally new to this, so all advice is welcome. Just try to keep in mind that the OS X terminology is all foreign language to me. lol I may have access to an older mac laptop... Does it have to be running SL in order to download Mavericks? I haven't used a Mac in 15 years, so I'm not positive where to look for the download or even where to find my USB drive in Finder. lmao

Thanks again!

Oh.... and I am still waiting for this rig to arrive from Alienware, and then upgrade all the components, so.... Totally no hurry. lol

Yes. Because your cpu is so new (and not supported by snow leopard), it will be difficult to install SL just to download mavericks.

And yes, the mac has to be running SL in order to download Mavericks.

Also, if Apple ever implements optimus, then it might work eventually. No one can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back