Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z490 UD
CPU
Intel i10 10700k
Graphics
NA
Hey All,

Having trouble getting the top shelf back in to my Mac Pro, anyone got any good videos/guides on how to refit and take a chunk out of it to fit full ATX board?

I have built a Mac Pro full ATX with intel i10 10700k and gigabyte z490 UD. I have included pics of the build. I got the case powder coated space grey. Still got a number of design/exterior changes to make.

For example, front IO, back wiring for power supply to fit, custom mount for the radiator and flip the tubing round. The transparent blue acrylic in final pic will have a dip cut in and I will insert the old door mechanism on to that to replace the existing door.

Best,
LJ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 418
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 410
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 406
@ElJudgo,

This looks great. I’m doing exactly the same thing right now with very similar hardware. My case is a Mac Pro 1,1 and I’ve decided to use a laser hive conversion kit on the back - it arrives by next Monday. I can’t solve your problem yet, but wondering if you can help me out. For the life of me I can’t get the shelf out. I’ve unscrewed everything, removed the little clips to remove the panel holders. What else do I need to do. Any help appreciated.

For anyone still searching for the fix to removing the top shelf the trick is to:

-Remove all screws from the underside of the top shelf (this includes the five nuts that hold release bar along the shelf)
-Remove the side panel clips by using a small screwdriver to remove the spring loaded clips holding in the side panel clips
-remove the clip holding in the pin for the locking mechanism and then push the pin down
- once that last pin is removed you can remove the release bar and then both sides of the shelf.

Hey All,

Having trouble getting the top shelf back in to my Mac Pro, anyone got any good videos/guides on how to refit and take a chunk out of it to fit full ATX board?

I have built a Mac Pro full ATX with intel i10 10700k and gigabyte z490 UD. I have included pics of the build. I got the case powder coated space grey. Still got a number of design/exterior changes to make.

For example, front IO, back wiring for power supply to fit, custom mount for the radiator and flip the tubing round. The transparent blue acrylic in final pic will have a dip cut in and I will insert the old door mechanism on to that to replace the existing door.

Best,
LJ

I’m planning on leaving the shelf out so I have better airflow through the whole case. I did put the locking mechanism back together without an issue. Now just have to wait for the laser hive atx kit coming soon.

looks really nice, was that bracket for the radiator custom made? how much was the powder coating? I had the same idea.

I've got the laser hive kit on the way too-- did you guys attempt to cut into the top shelf?

did you bother to wire up the front usb panel/switch?

looks really nice, was that bracket for the radiator custom made? how much was the powder coating? I had the same idea.

I've got the laser hive kit on the way too-- did you guys attempt to cut into the top shelf?

did you bother to wire up the front usb panel/switch?

I’m considering keeping the top shelf out. The only reason to keep it in (or at least the front half) might be to so I can keep a space for two hard drives. However, with 2nvme drives I’m not sure I need them.

regarding the front panel I’m leaving exactly as it is so I keep the original look. I do plan on connecting the power button and led directly through the three wires attached to the power button. Just need to double check he wiring before I do that though.

@kiwimac @lyrata sorry I've been off this forum, I've still not made the artificial changes just yet although I'm probably going to leave the top shelf off. I've attached the power supply with gorilla glue mounting tape to the top of the supply and its not moved a cm (that stuff is a joke). I think i'm going to use the same technique to stick a pop in/out HDD mount in top left of case.

Bracket for radiator is sneakily some 2.5" hardrive bay mounts screwed to front of case, I will change this for a properly fabricated piece in the long run.

I want to leave the front IO the same as kiwimac, but again it's one of those things 'i'll do when I get round to it'

Laser hive kit took a while for me too actually but it is well made and comes with everything you need.

I just finished the build using the atx mod kit and couldn’t be more happy. Fantastic product to make my mod much easier and clean that I could have imagined.

So I’ve decided I’m going to put part of the top shelf back in. This weekend I plan to cut the shelf in half (ensuring I keep the mounts for two of the hard drive bays available — requiring an additional notch on the cut end. This way I can mount two hard drives in those bays and then an addition two hard drives in the 5.25” bay that I’ll also be reinstalling (again, with a little notch taken out on the backside).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back