Contribute
Register

Mac Pro Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received my new Mac Pro case the modding will be starting.

Good luck; I have almost completed my build, well its kind of finished. I just need to tidy it up really. Take a look here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/80884-mac-pro-early-2009-case-mod-haximus-pro-2.html

My case is the newer version of yours, so I am not sure which approach you will take. If you need any advice, or anything, do not hesitate to ask me.

Take care, and I look forward to seeing your build.

Thanks I appreciate it. After doing some searching I'm going with the same MB as you, I see sleep and wake works on it.

So I purchased a non-working logic board to cut out the rear i/o. I want my mac pro case to look stock and didn't want to cut the case. I started soldering the usb.

Attachments

• IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,416
So I purchased a non-working logic board to cut out the rear i/o. I want my mac pro case to look stock and didn't want to cut the case. I started soldering the usb.

Good work.

This is the worst part of my case, which still needs a little work. The IO section is a PITA! In hindsight, I would of somehow done it different and not cut it out, but I needed my system up, and usable almost immediately.

It's okay, in the distant future, I can buy a motherboard tray, and use that. I guess that will be when I upgrade the parts in this build.

I will be looking in, and seeing how you progress.

Good luck!

PS - The Asus Maximus V Gene is an awesome board, and yes SLEEP works, but you need to flash the custom BIOS which is linked in my thread. The only thing that does not work is the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports. But the other (INTEL, i think) USB 3.0 ports work, and I plug my keyboard & mouse into those. Those will be gone, when I get my Apple keyboard, mouse and track pad, as they run off Bluetooth (except the wired keyboard ofc).

In fact, I am so glad I chose this board. It looks awesome, has great features, and does what I need it to.

Good choice!

:)

I been patiently waiting for a few days and constantly checking newegg for an open box Asus Maximus V Gene which is $70 off and I was able to order it today, I also purchased usb headers to finish off the usb wiring, I already own the apple wireless keyboard and trackpad which I would never give up.

I have recently completed a Mac Pro mod myself and have not figured out how to do the back I/o. Currently I just have a USB extension cable running out the double wide hole where the Ethernet jacks go which connects to my Cinema Display which provides enough USB ports for my needs at the moment. I was thinking of going the custom PCB route but that is proving challenging. My concern with hacking off the extension of a broken Mac Pro logic board is whether it would fit between the back of the case and the I/o of my ASUS motherboard. There is not a lot of space in there. How do you find the spacing? Does it work? Not sure how far along you are in the newegg delivery/ordering process, but if you want to save a few bucks I am running the P8Z77 -M Pro and everything including sleep works. Yes even wake from my trackpad. Also, it is very easy to overclock as I have my i5-2500k going at 4.8 and there are no problems at all- never a crash.

I have recently completed a Mac Pro mod myself and have not figured out how to do the back I/o. Currently I just have a USB extension cable running out the double wide hole where the Ethernet jacks go which connects to my Cinema Display which provides enough USB ports for my needs at the moment. I was thinking of going the custom PCB route but that is proving challenging. My concern with hacking off the extension of a broken Mac Pro logic board is whether it would fit between the back of the case and the I/o of my ASUS motherboard. There is not a lot of space in there. How do you find the spacing? Does it work? Not sure how far along you are in the newegg delivery/ordering process, but if you want to save a few bucks I am running the P8Z77 -M Pro and everything including sleep works. Yes even wake from my trackpad. Also, it is very easy to overclock as I have my i5-2500k going at 4.8 and there are no problems at all- never a crash.

I like the M-pro board as well I got the Asus MVG as an open box for the same price as the M-pro. If I couldn't get it open box I would of purchased the M-pro. As far as the space between the rear i/o I would have to see when I get the Asus board delivered which is on Thursday, if I need space I would remove the connectors from the Mac Pro logic board and glue them to the case.

That makes sense. I will be interested to learn if there is space or not, please throw an update on here once you get your board. Also, do you plan on using the Ethernet or just going wireless? The USB connection doesn't seem to tricky, but the Ethernet might be more of a challenge unless the connector is double sides and you can run a cable from the ASUS to the one side of the connector and and then a second cable out the back of the case side and into a router.

That makes sense. I will be interested to learn if there is space or not, please throw an update on here once you get your board. Also, do you plan on using the Ethernet or just going wireless? The USB connection doesn't seem to tricky, but the Ethernet might be more of a challenge unless the connector is double sides and you can run a cable from the ASUS to the one side of the connector and and then a second cable out the back of the case side and into a router.

I seen someone else do it with a custom board the space was really tight and he soldered the wires to his mother board something Im not doing. I'm going to wire my usb to usb header connector on the mother board and for the ethernet is going to be simple for me I'm not worried about it, I'm not going to be using wireless I like to be hard wired on ethernet. Yes, I will be updating each step of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back