Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys so I am saving my pennies for this build, basically I'll use it for every day computing, HTPC, Adobe CS5 suite, Aperture, Final Cut, ocasionally play WoW and I'll be starting a computer science career next year! So it will be my first built ever. A huge upgrade from my Dell mini :D. Well nothing big that anyone hasn't seen. I just wanted to share my happiness with you guys :)

Mac Pro Hackintosh.png

+ Mac OS X Snow Leopard Update CD, sound system, Logitech webcam/mic, bluetooth and eventually and Airport Extreme card trough a mini pci-e to pci-e x1 wifi adapter, I'm not sure because I read that it doesn't work great for some people, if user can comment about it, I would appreciate :D

Attachments

• Mac Pro Hackintosh.png
    Mac Pro Hackintosh.png
    436.1 KB · Views: 229
I have an Apple Airport vis PCI to Mini-PCI and it works perfectly from bold cold start and sleep. The biggest problem I have is with my Belkin Mini Bluetooth adapter in that when resuming from sleep I need to re-insert the adapter. I will get this fixed one day, but for now it's not that much of a big deal since the adapter is plugged into a front USB port within easy reach (and this work around is instantaneous).

Thanks for the info!! Are you running 10.6.7@64 bit mode with your "real" airport?

Yes - 10.6.7 64-bit Full Support.

These are the components I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3382wt_907
and
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1146wt_907

There is an unused wireless antena which I connected anyway just so it didn't look unusual but since its at the back of the machine it makes no difference. I have also purchased the components to get bluetooth working with an A1181 Macbook Bluetooth adapter, but have not got round the installing it (since you need to solder the adapter through a 5v to 3.3v dc-dc converter).

threepoint2 said:
Yes - 10.6.7 64-bit Full Support.

These are the components I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3382wt_907
and
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1146wt_907

There is an unused wireless antena which I connected anyway just so it didn't look unusual but since its at the back of the machine it makes no difference. I have also purchased the components to get bluetooth working with an A1181 Macbook Bluetooth adapter, but have not got round the installing it (since you need to solder the adapter through a 5v to 3.3v dc-dc converter).

works nice? 100%? win works?

Thanks for the info man I'll be buying everything soon and tell you how it goes!!

dont know what prices are like where you are, but over here sandy bridge cpus/motherboards (i5 2500k etc) are cheaper than the older nehalem cpus like what you have chosen.

any particular reason you are going for that setup?
if it were my money, and i were building new now, i wouldnt be going for nehalem cpus, itd have to be sandy bridge for their price to performance.

There are reasons of why I'm going Nehalem instead of Sandy Brdige. Frist one, it's cheaper than Sandy Bridge here. Moreover my father owns a Mac Pro and I have used Nehalem and pleased me a lot, besides it's better supported than Sandy Bridge by OS X, well that's what I have read so far, I might be wrong. And I really care about stability because I'll be a student and this will my main machine, and I will be studying computer sciences so I can't aford myself to spend to much time at fixing my install :/ But if you think Sandy Bridge is as stable as Nehalem under OS X I will strongly consider it. Besides I like the Bloomfield core rather then Sandy's because it has QPI instead of DMI.

jpa said:
works nice? 100%? win works?

In terms of how it works. It connects from cold start and after resuming from sleep; does not drop connection and has not failed yet. I have used it to download over 10GB without interruption and stream videos to the ATV2 again without interruption. In terms of percentage, I would have to say 100% since it has never failed to perform; my old iMac is the benchmark. While I have tested it in Windows 7, which detected the device and allowed connection to the same network, I don't use Windows more than just to prove I can install it and have since reclaimed the drive Windows was installed on so cannot comment on long term stability, other than to say I observed it working. Based on price and simplicity of this Mod (i.e. having to do nothing other than plug it in) I would recommend it :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back