2. Classic
  3. Performa
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a crazy question for my build. I have a mac pro 5,1. I would like for the internal drives to operate at SATA 3 speeds. what do you all think of the idea of de soldering the controller chip and replacing it with one that is sata 3?
newthread.php
I also have a sweet raid controller that supports 8 internal connections and operates at sata three (occupying a 16x pcie slot) but am concerned about how to connect it to the drives and how to power them.
so do you think it would be possible to swap the back planes built it sata controller with one that operates at sata 3 speeds AND is compatabile with my standard DUAL BOOT set up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a crazy question for my build. I have a mac pro 5,1. I would like for the internal drives to operate at SATA 3 speeds. what do you all think of the idea of de soldering the controller chip and replacing it with one that is sata 3?
newthread.php
I also have a sweet raid controller that supports 8 internal connections and operates at sata three (occupying a 16x pcie slot) but am concerned about how to connect it to the drives and how to power them.
so do you think it would be possible to swap the back planes built it sata controller with one that operates at sata 3 speeds AND is compatabile with my standard DUAL BOOT set up?

Take a look at this link: http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=177&ParentCat=332

I think what you are looking for is available and is worth call these people and talk it out.

When I did my Mac Pro hack, I used this "Link Adapter" along with the 4 SATA cables which allowed me to retain the 4 drive interfaces and Apple drive sleds.

Good modding,
neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a real Mac Pro or a Hackintosh build/conversion?

Take a look at this link: http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=177&ParentCat=332

I think what you are looking for is available and is worth call these people and talk it out.

When I did my Mac Pro hack, I used this "Link Adapter" along with the 4 SATA cables which allowed me to retain the 4 drive interfaces and Apple drive sleds.

Good modding,
neil

I believe what you've linked to is specific to Mac Pro 1,1 2,1 and 3,1 cases.
Sorry I cannot add more to the discussion, I myself am looking into ways to keep the functionality of the drive sleds on a 4,1 model.

I believe what you've linked to is specific to Mac Pro 1,1 2,1 and 3,1 cases.
Sorry I cannot add more to the discussion, I myself am looking into ways to keep the functionality of the drive sleds on a 4,1 model.

If you had spent a little more time on the web site you would have found this page: http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=413&ParentCat=419

However if you are looking to use a late model Mac Pro case as a base for a hack, then the solutions on this site may not be appropriate for your needs.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back