Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have boughta iBook G3 with OS9 installed. I noted that the OS has nothing except Mail and IE. Will it be more "useful" when I upgrade it to OSX? (At least there are itunes and iwork for OSX)

One more thing is that when I launched IE, I cannot access to Apple and Yahoo. But I could access some site with a simple layout. How to fix this?

Also, What is your advise if I install a SSD to replace the original harddisk.

Thanks!

-Chip

I have boughta iBook G3 with OS9 installed. I noted that the OS has nothing except Mail and IE. Will it be more "useful" when I upgrade it to OSX? (At least there are itunes and iwork for OSX)

One more thing is that when I launched IE, I cannot access to Apple and Yahoo. But I could access some site with a simple layout. How to fix this?

Thanks!

-Chip
iBook G3 is powerPC CPU and is not compatible with OS X 10.6 or higher any version. OS X is Intel CPU and cannot be installed on PowerPC CPU models.

Thanks!

-Chip

This highest you can go is OS X 10.4.11. You should probably do some more reading on what OS X 10.4.11 offers as far as features.

Mac OS 10.4 is still way out of date. I think the only way you can still make a computer that old useful at all would be to put Linux on it. There seems to be a PowerPC release of Lubuntu (the low-end-system distribution of Ubuntu) you could try: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Don't bother putting an SSD in that computer. It takes an ATA/100 drive, and even if you could find an SSD with an ATA interface, the bus is the bottleneck and you won't get any better performance than you did from the hard drive.

the ubuntu gives me new insight. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back