Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.8 restricted to App Store, signed apps by defaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you could always turn it off. If I remember correctly, there's going to be an option to turn this restriction off when you try to install an unsigned app.

The screen shots for the Security tab on MacRumors show you have three options, only those in the App Store, Those Trusted by Apple Dev ID's and anything. I hear that you can also "add" a list of your own trusted Dev ID's...

While it is true that there is a setting you can tick in to allow to install software outside of the app store in 10.8, it has been speculated that the choice will be eliminated in 10.9 or 11.0.

The good thing about our Hackintosh's is that it won't be hard to move to Linux if OSX gets to be too locked down.

Edit: Because I don't want to spread false information I have removed "Apple has already said" from my post. My source can not confirm that Apple said about eliminating the choice from Gatekeeper in future versions of OSX. Sorry for the incorrect information!

yeh i read something like this.
that 10.8 would give the option to turn it off, 10.9 would require command line to disable it, and 10.10 would have no option to disable it at all.

hopefully that doesnt happen

MerReady said:
While it is true that there is a setting you can tick in to allow to install software outside of the app store in 10.8, Apple has already said that the choice will be eliminated in 10.9 or 11.0.

Source?

I won't be upgrading to 10.10 then, they're trying to add business ties to themselves via the app store like on the iphone and charge a fee to each dev for each app sold.
I hated the restrictions on the iphone and had an android phone for ages but finally gave in and got an iphone, still a bit annoying that I can't even bluetooth a photo to another phone.
The thing is (like the iphone) people who love mac will live with the restrictions or dual boot.

TheSmartGuy said:
MerReady said:
While it is true that there is a setting you can tick in to allow to install software outside of the app store in 10.8, Apple has already said that the choice will be eliminated in 10.9 or 11.0.

Source?

Yes, I'd like a source, because I haven't seen anything remotely like this mentioned ANYWHERE. To the contrary, I've seen word that Apple understands that theres software that for technical reasons (LittleSnitch?) and licensing reasons (VLC or other OSS) won't work in the App Store, so they aren't going to disable the ability to load non-app store/un-signed apps.

senseotech said:
TheSmartGuy said:
MerReady said:

Source?

Yes, I'd like a source, because I haven't seen anything remotely like this mentioned ANYWHERE. To the contrary, I've seen word that Apple understands that theres software that for technical reasons (LittleSnitch?) and licensing reasons (VLC or other OSS) won't work in the App Store, so they aren't going to disable the ability to load non-app store/un-signed apps.

My source comes from a developer who makes and sells software in apples app store. I'll see if I can get the "Print" of the information.

There is also this from the article: "At this point in time, you can still easily install applications outside of the Mac App Store, but the fear (and, let's face it, the expectation) is that Apple will one day make this harder - only to make it impossible a little later," I wrote, "I'm pretty sure Mac OS X will get a switch first - off by default - to only allow App Store applications. In the release after that, the switch will be on by default. One release later still, and the switch is relegated to some obscure command line command."

Take the above for what you want.

MerReady said:
My source comes from a developer who makes and sells software in apples app store.

Nonsense. If "Apple has already said" it to at least a few developers, don't you think it would have leaked all over the net by now?

The rest of your post is pure conjecture.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the option to turn off signed apps gets buried deeper as OSX version numbers increase, but I can't imagine there'll ever be a time when users are forced to jailbreak their Macs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back