Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi I want to replace my WHS for a mac lion server. I need some advice about this hardware

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV(Rev2.0)

Intel Pentium G620
Intel Core i3 2120 Boxed
Intel Core i5 2310 Boxed

I only need the onboard graphic card.

is this any good ?

You will need a CPU with HD3000.

mrniceguy89 said:
Hi I want to replace my WHS for a mac lion server. I need some advice about this hardware

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV(Rev2.0)

Intel Pentium G620
Intel Core i3 2120 Boxed
Intel Core i5 2310 Boxed

I only need the onboard graphic card.

is this any good ?
These CPUs would require a video card. :wave:
You could go with a i5 2500K

Coupz said:
@JohnnyMac do you read what your write before posting?

Why he should buy a 180€ CPU for a HOME SERVER???

i3 2105
i3 2125

These have HD 3000. Or you buy the Celeron 1155 and buy a small GPU like GTS 520 or 210 http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac, which are OOB working.
Sorry, didn't see the monetary issue. If he has a problem with the money, I would say that is his place to say so, but twas just a suggestion. As are yours :wave:

Just a note since I had started to try to run one of my OSX machines as a server over the last year... if you have a mixed network with both windows and mac machines the borked Lion SMB implementation is a major PITA. You can get SMB working mostly properly by turning off the native version and installing SMB yourself. Google SMBUp to give you an easy way to install and set up Samba from scratch.

I'm currently running one machine with shared movies, music, etc as a main HTPC and file server from Win 7 (not ideal, but also not hard to set up and maintain shares and my family finds Win 7 MC easiest to use of all the frontends I've subjected them to). My main development rig is my hackintosh and I've been wrestling with the SMB issues, Plex sharing (love the UI, not so much the lack of ability to stream VIDEO_TS from DVD rips over the network), and some occasional recent freezes which I'm still trying to track down. It's all software/OS issues I've hit so I think once you get your basic install going you'll encounter the same tradeoffs I have (hopefully without the annoying freezes :D )

Long story short if you require 100% reliability and compatibility I think you'd be better off building a DIY NAS, or sharing from Windows (heresy I know). If you don't mind tinkering and a bunch of workarounds for little issues that you'll hit with Lion then you can probably get the OSX to do what you need.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you ahve anything particular you'd like to bounce around. This has been a project I've been curious to see how other people handle.

Following up on the choice of CPU question...

I have both a low power machine i3 I run as a simple HTPC client with HD3000 and it works great for that in our basement TV room.

I have another mixed use machine with a 2500K that I use for ripping and transcoding my dvd collection. I've been working on a collection of DVD's, CD's etc each weekend for a year or so now. I will say that if you are planning on doing this with your server (I'm assuming you're planning on serving media to other machines) then the 2500K and some extra RAM is a great investment. There is a very noticeable reduction in the time it takes to reencode each movie (especially if you get into Blu-ray rips which are huge) and you're future self will thank you for the time savings. It is still probably a bit pricey to spend that much if you are ONLY planning on getting this benefit out of it, but you can weigh whether the time/hassle is worth the extra cost, especially if you might transplant the 2500K into a more main use machine down the road.

If you're just storing and serving up files from the server then you could even go headless with the machine and remote in to manage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back