Contribute
Register

Mac Compatible RAID card for JBOD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I put the mashine into sleep mode with raid1 connected drives to this hba? I tried, it went into sleep mode properly. It could also come back from sleep mode, but the drives connected to the hba were disconnected. It seems to me, the drives are showing up as an removable drives, and also acting like that. What do you think of that , @BlackCatLex ?

I never use sleep mode myself, but I do have the drives set to sleep when not in use. When accessing a drive which has gone to sleep it will take 10-15 seconds for the drive to spin up and register with the hba and be available to the system. The drives do show as external under mac OS.

I have found a kextopatch to make drive and work like internal from here:

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Astek Fusion 2 Fix External</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
PHN0cmluZz5FeHRlcm5hbDwvc3RyaW5nPg==
</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<true/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AstekFusion2Adapter</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
PHN0cmluZz5JbnRlcm5hbDwvc3RyaW5nPg==
</data>
</dict>

But this doesn`t seem to work.

Hello,
I have a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i based on SAS2208 chip (MegaRAID edition), but I did not able to make it work on my Hack. I installed the SASMegaRAID.kext from here (https://github.com/dukzcry/osx-goodies) and also the two AstekFusion2Family.kext and AstekFusion2Adapter.kext, but the card does not show up on the system (SAS or Parallel SCSI). Is there anything I can do to bring the card working? I know the SAS2208 does not work, but it is flashed with the MegaRAID firmware and should go.

Today I changed the LSI card with LSI MegaRAID 9261-8i with SAS2108 chip. After installing the SASMegaRAID kext the card was visible and all the RADI volumes too. At the time of writing I confirm LSI SAS2108 works on macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 15.02.22.png

Thanks very much for this list of controllers. I could not confirm anywhere else that a Broadcom/Avago/LSI 9207-8i would work and be bootable, so I ended up going with an ATTO H608 which claims full support. It's about double the price of the 9207-8i at $110 on eBay right now.

I'm making the assumption that you're looking for internal vs. external connectors. Here are some SATA/SAS hardware RAID controllers that work with macOS, with approximate prices for comparison:
  • Broadcom LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8iCC ~ $200 (SAS)
  • Sonnet FUSRCE Fusion D8/DX8 ~ $1000 (SAS)
  • ATTO Technology ExpressSAS R644 ~ $400 (SAS)
  • ATTO Technology ExpressSAS R608 ~ $600 (SAS)
  • HighPoint Technology RocketRAID 2640x1 ~ $150 (SAS)
  • HighPoint Technology RocketRAID 2710 ~ $185 (SAS)
  • HighPoint Technology RocketRAID 2720SGL ~ $160 (SAS)
  • HighPoint Technology RocketRAID 840A ~ $290 (SATA)
  • HighPoint Technology RocketRAID 640L ~ $100 (SATA)
  • Areca ARC-1203-4i ~ $350 (SATA)

SATA/SAS expansion cards that you can use with software RAID include:
  • Areca ARC-1320-8i ~ $315 (SAS)
  • StarTech SSD RAID Controller Card with 2x M.2 NGFF and 2x SATA III Ports ~ $120 (SATA)
  • StarTech PEXSAT34RH 4 Port SATA III RAID Controller Card ~ $65 (SATA) - the hardware-assisted RAID only works in Windows, but works as SATA card in MacOS (Marvell 88SE9230 controller)
  • Avago Technologies SAS 9207-8i ~ $250 (SAS)
  • ATTO ExpressSAS H608 ~ $315 (SAS)
  • SYBA SD-PEX40104 8-Port SATA III Card ~ $80 (SATA)
  • SYBA SI-PEX40071 8 Internal SATA III Ports PCIe Card ~ $80 (SATA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back