Contribute
Register

Mac Browser Wars: What Do You Use?

What Browser Do You Prefer On Mac OS X?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vendetta said:
Honestly haven't given Chrome much attention, because I'd rather not involve G**gle into my life anymore than I have to. :lol:
+1.
[offtopic]
I even added this in my hosts:
Code:
# Block Google Services
127.0.0.1	ssl.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1	partner.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1	pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1	googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1	googleads.g.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1	google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1	feedads.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1	adservices.google.com
[/offtopic]

That's a good way to do it, eMatoS. Another good way is to let Little Snitch do for you if you don't want to edit the /etc/hosts/ file with nano. (if you want to see what's in your hosts file, copy this:
cat /etc/hosts
and past it into the Terminal at a prompt.

I use Firefox 3.6.13 (just out as of this post time stamp) for the following reasons:
  • Have used it and it's predecessors since it was call Mosaic which you got from the University of Illinois;[/*:m:2ml6jx8k]
  • Rich choice of outstanding privacy add-ons:
    [list:2ml6jx8k]
  • Adblock Plus,[/*:m:2ml6jx8k]
  • Beef Taco,[/*:m:2ml6jx8k]
  • BetterPrivacy,[/*:m:2ml6jx8k]
  • No Script;[/*:m:2ml6jx8k]
[/*:m:2ml6jx8k]
[*] Other add-ons: TabMixPlus, Right-Click-Link;[/*:m:2ml6jx8k]
[*] And smooth integration with 1Password and Xmarks.[/*:m:2ml6jx8k][/list:u:2ml6jx8k]

FireFox 4 is shaping up to be interesting, although I haven't switched over yet - still playing with it.

I've tried the others, too. I use Camino - nice. But, came back to Firefox. Safari needs more privacy extensions. I use iPurge Safari Caches after each Safari run.

I no longer use Chrome because it reports back to the mother ship on what you're doing even when it's not running. (Look up "ksurl" on Google. I have Little Snitch blocking it on all my Macs.)

I have had a lot of issues with safari. It overloads my router and seems really slow at times. I use chrome on both windows and osx.

Attachments

• WP_000147.jpg
    WP_000147.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 160
Firefox 4, simply because of the Sync feature. Gotta love having bookmarks etc saved across multiple platforms/operating systems!

Vendetta said:
Honestly haven't given Chrome much attention, because I'd rather not involve G**gle into my life anymore than I have to. :lol:
+1
I use Safari and Firefox in OS X, Firefox in Win7. IE is disabled in Win7 unless I am deliberately running Microsoft Update.
There is no G**gle on Firefox anymore - I deleted it as a search engine.
I use ixQuick as a search engine.

Chrome, hands down fastest and best HTML5 support. Also, watching youtube through the HTML5 capabilities instead of flash uses less system resources (macbooks won't sound like they're blasting off from Cape Canaveral). Though I think everyone is using HTML5 now?

I dunno. Chrome was first. And its still the fastest.

Attachments

• test’s Mac Pro.zip
    760.5 KB · Views: 96
I use Opera, and I'm surprised that of 100 votes, just 2 prefer Opera :)
I guess it's like Linux, the user base is really smaller than it "ought to" be.

Anyway, I've been using Opera for years, since 2002 I reckon. I've often had old and slow computers and Opera has in general been the fastest and least resource hungry browser. Browsers like Netscape/Mozilla, and also Firefox, were just too slow on my machine, and IE4-6 too insecure. Yes, I used Windows in those days. (Still do, dual boot OSX/Win7)

I've been using Operas synchronize-feature for a couple of years to have same bookmarks and setup on different computers and operating systems, and mouse gestures - I can't use browsers without them (yes, they are available for other browsers now, but on slow computers Opera still is no 1).

I don't like the looks of Chrome (and find it lacks features/settings), I've never got along fine with Safari either. Maybe I'm just stubborn.

So, Opera on OSX, Win7, Linux and phone. Most of the time I use Beta-versions, I find them stable enough. I try alpha-versions when I'm curious about new functions though.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ (development versions of Opera, currently v 11 betas)

tonymacx86 said:
And with Safari & Chrome you get the cool spinning Resources link :lol:

Works in Opera 2:)

I mostly use FF (for work) but Opera is my 2nd browser, can't get used to Safari or Chrome, but use em too when testing web sites.

I'd just like to point out that I love that there are such great browser options now that we can actually have 3 browsers running pretty close in a poll like this now. It sure beats the IE 5 days. :thumbup:

Burninator said:
I'd just like to point out that I love that there are such great browser options now that we can actually have 3 browsers running pretty close in a poll like this now. It sure beats the IE 5 days. :thumbup:

:lol: Ya for sure- competition is good for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back