Contribute
Register

Mac Browser Wars: What Do You Use?

What Browser Do You Prefer On Mac OS X?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i use raven only a great surprise for me :thumbup:

I prefer Firefox, but ever since version 7, it does not work properly in yahoo online pinochle game. If i want to play that game i use Safari on OSX or IE via Fusion/Windows. Chrome Works on my Desktop, but flickers on my MBP when playing that game. Opera functions, but i dont like the interface as much.

I was an avid chrome user but after months of waiting for sites that have flash components to load or even pictures - image board style.. i changed to safari, i'm surprised of it's performances. On windows chrome beats safari hands down but on OS X it's better.

Another funny thing, on my old Core 2 Duo i had no performance problems with chrome but on my new i7 laptop i do.

I am a Chrome user for the most part but had to switch to Firefox 8 for my hackintosh.

Chrome ship with their own custom version of Flash that they update themselves. When I used to open any streaming video the sound would play but no video would render. The browser and then Finder would :beachball: and nothing would force quite. There were no related error entries in the console. Nothing would open either (launching from Spotlight), Activity Monitor would just bounce in the dock. Even if I got a shutdown command to execute, the computer would hang at a gray screen and not shutdown after completing log out steps.

I've found that the flash plugin with Firefox and Safari didn't have the same problem with my video card.

I use Chrome most
Firefox because of some add-on i like to use
Safari when i wan't to copy paste item from browser to textEdit
and less times Opera.

Primary OS X browsers through the years:
Internet Explorer
Omniweb (primary until 2010!)
Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox
Chrome (current browser of choice)

Tried, but never liked them enough:
Netscape X (it existed, back in the day)
Mozilla
Safari
iCab
Chimera/Camino
Opera
SeaMonkey
Iron

There have actually been dozens of OS X browsers over the years. I think there ought to be prizes. "Most obscure Gecko engine variation". "Most obscure GUI browser (non-Gecko, non-WebKit)." "Most original browser concept." "Most unloved text-based browser."

Well.. I got the + and the -

Chrome:
+ Fast, lightweight, clear, tabs can be pinned
- uses a big amount of RAM, sometimes hang up (don't want to get stopped)

Firefox:
+ Pretty fast, have Adblock, tabs can be pinned
- Often hang (on mine)

Safari:
+ Can be bookmarked automatically (when open a new tab)
- Don't save the cache, I mean each time I open FB game, must load from 0, not like Google Chrome

Opera:
+ Fast with Turbo
- Javascript won't work, must manually enable flash, sometime the picture unclear (pixelate)

So, how about you?

the only browser I had very few problems, and with best useability features for me is firefox! I prefer it also cause it uses lesser RAM than others (off course it depends on how much plug in you have)

I use only one Browser.In this case Safari.
The more browsers are installed the more potential loopholes are available to attackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back