1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Performa
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,
I would like to use two different SSDs for my Z590i Hackintosh. For Windows I picked a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro and for macOS a 1TB WD Black SN850. Is it OK to use different brands? Up to now I always bought two SSDs of the same brand and version.
What would you suggest?
Thanks for your help!

Your choices are good to go. Using the WD SN860 SSD for macOS will yield better boot times.

Your choices are good to go. Using the WD SN850 SSD for macOS will yield better boot times.
+1 the WD Black SN850 is the fastest macOS boot drive there is. It doesn't fully reach it's potential speeds unless it's installed on an 11th gen or 12th gen Intel motherboard. This is why the SN750 is the best budget choice for tenth gen or older motherboards used as a hackintosh. It can save the buyer 50-60 dollars and give similar boot times on these older mobos.

I would like to use two different SSDs for my Z590i Hackintosh.
The brand really makes no difference in a Windows multi-boot setup. They don't need to match. When you boot into the Samsung/Windows drive the boot times should still be normal. Make sure to use the excellent Samsung magician software to fine tune it for Windows 10/11.

Thank you so much for your quick replies!
unless it's installed on an 11th gen or 12th gen Intel motherboard
I forgot to say it will be a Gigabyte Z590i Vision D with a Intel Core i9-11900. It has the required PCIe 4.0 slot for a M.2 drive.

So it will be a 1TB WD Black SN850 for macOS. For the Windows drive, would you personally pick a WD Black SN850 too or rather go for a Samsung 980 Pro? I already own both of them :)

For the Windows drive, would you personally pick a WD Black SN850 too or rather go for a Samsung 980 Pro? I already own both of them.
Probably the 980 Pro as the Samsung Magician software is way better than what WD offers. Have a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back