Contribute
Register

M.2 Internal SSD startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember running RAID configs back in the day
i understand, going way technical into the weeds is not for everyone and it costs too. but you are going to have 3 drives,
3 SSD configuration (OS + Swap files + Rush files)
i'd like to understand what they are, my boot drive corresponds to your OS. could you describe Swap files + Rush files?

The idea there is to optimise I/O which is particularly critical when working with x265 encoded files (very large MB/S bandwidth).

SSD1 for OS and FCPX
SSD2 for Swap files and renders = Your FCPX (for example) library (= proxies, optimised files etc... pretty much everything you "see" when using FCPX)
SSD3 for rush files = Your imported video files. Having them on a different SSD and therefor using a different I/O channel will speed up proxies / optimised files creation and final rendering.

At export/render time your CPU/GPU will have 3 SSDs to play with. Read instructions on SSD1 and 2, pull original files from SSD3 and eventually write on SSD2 (your exported file).

library (= proxies, optimised files etc... pretty much everything you "see" when using FCPX)
thanks! i think it corresponds to the three drives i was planing for music production, drive 1: FCPX = Logic Pro X or digital audio workstation, drive 2: library (= proxies, optimized files etc... pretty much everything you "see" when using FCPX), this one is what sounds least familiar to me, for audio i'm talking sampled sounds, like sounds from an orchestra which can be assembled into music, and plugins like reverb and drive 3: rush files for the output of what you have edited, which i call my project, because it contains the tracks i imported to the Logic Pro X as well as the result of add instruments and effects like reverb that was added by Logic Pro X.
oh wow, you are exporting from drive 2! that is different, i wonder why? i guess you end up with your original file in drive 3 and a new edited version in drive 2, where as in Logic Pro X, you edit your original file.
the NAS box server runs it's own OS and if i understand, it can speed up the process as long as you have a robust system with multi cores and threads and you are not running encryption.
i recall reading how slow rendering in FCPX can be and i worry a little about computational errors while pushing the computer to it's limits for hours or days on end which ECC memory would correct
thanks for sharing how you set up your drives for working in FCPX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back