Contribute
Register

"Lunchbox" hackintosh for portable video data management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody, I am new here but have been reading your posts for couple of months and decided to join as I see some people with similar needs and ideas.
I found this topic from 1,5 years ago but since I am into something similar I'll take it on top once again.
My MacBook Pro got too old and slow for data management with recent digital cameras and on-set needs so I decided to go into something much more powerful but also portable almost like laptop. In the end of the year I have built a Windows-DIT-workstation: MSI-X79A-GD65, i73930, HP Quadro 4000, Sonnet Qio MR media reader (SxS, CF, P2), Sonnet Allegro FW800, additional eSata USB 3.0. connections. I was thinking of OSX on this setup but at that time it was not possible yet(is it right now?). After I assembled the whole setup (it was in Explorer case - something like Peli but I think it's italian brand, whole gear in bottom part closed with aluminium top, and monitor in the upper part) Resolve Lite was released for Windows one week later so I decided to quit OSX idea for some time.
I did whole feature abroad (in Israel) on it with no problems at all, though the computer was getting extremely hot (85-90C most of the time) and working 12+. Fortunately it was winter in Israel (15-25C) and the toys survived. But after I came back I started having problems with Windows couple of times on production (first Qio hanged the system for no reason - after changing PCIe slot was OK, second time Windows started looking for "Mass Storage Device Drivers" for P2 cards - which were working till that time with no problem; and finally I started having problems with HFS+ drives - I was using Mac Drive - sometimes the drives couldn't open in Windows until I connected and disconnected them to MBP). I decided it is enough of my Windows experience (second chance after 3 years on OSX) and came back to looking for Hackintosh solution.
First of all I decided to change the "chasis" from plastic which was just temporary to a custom build aluminium chasis-case-style. Right now in development. I hope It will take some of the heat from inside. I was thinking about the same ACME Portable 17"Monitor case but the price (3000$ in Poland) made me look for my own solution. I think the chasis should be ready in couple of weeks (it's hand made prototype - so if I wanted to have it cheap I have to be patient..) so I decided to look more into the inside of the machine.
As I did some research there are some people posting that they have some succes with X79 on Lion but not fully stable yet. So I decided to switch to Gigabyte GA-X58UD3R in the meantime, and CPU from i7 3930 to i7 990X and right now I am trying to make it work with all the components. And make it more stable than Windows...
I'll post some pictures when I am successful...

The goal is to have the most powerful and stable machine available in a flight like case, working with all kinds of data from digital cameras on set, that i can carry in one hand on location and setup in less than a minute. (the weight I achieved with plastic flight case was exactly 20 kg and I want to keep it maximum at that).

"Lunchbox" hackintosh for portable video data management

Hello rchristof,
did you manage to get the qio working inside the hackintsh system?

best

- - - Updated - - -

Hello rchristof,
did you manage to get the qio working inside the hackintsh system?

best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back