2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi guys,

I recently received a device called "Lunadisplay" in USB-C and to my disappointment, it doesn't seem to work on hackintosh. I contacted the company making the device but they are not exactly willing to help to see if i can make it work with a few adjustments or if it's a no go on hackintosh. May be some of you have the knowledge to help me out.

Basically, Lunadisplay is a USB-C adaptor that turn any ipad into a secondary screen. I have an USB-C port thru Asrock 3.1 PCIE card and so far i've been using it with an advance USB 3 HD dock and it's working fine.

Astro support team said : "Luna needs to plug in to a USB-C connector that support the DisplayPort or Thunderbolt 3 Alternate Mode for it to function properly." if anyone know what this means.

https://lunadisplay.com/

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the Info, i also have a usb-c adapter on order from lunadisplay, will try it with my deskmini 110 which has a normal usb-c port. I plan to order a new macmini, so if it didn't work with my deskmini then it goes to the new mac mini where my new 12,9 iPad Pro will be the main display via lunadisplay.

I ordered one a few days ago. Not the usb-c model, instead I ordered the mini display port model. The issue you see is that the dongle is required to be plugged into usb-c port that outputs video signal from the GPU. Your usb-c port is most likely a simple USB 3.1 port and that's about it. I'm glad I did a little research before buying the usb-c model, since my mainboard also has usb-c 3.1 plug but it probably wouldn't work. I will purchase a DP to mini-DP hub cable which will bridge the connection between the GPU and lune (no electronics, simple 20pin to 20pin wiring)

Here is the info I got from:

https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh...opads_luna_adapter_for_ipad_screen_mirroring/

If this does not work, I'll refund it ASAP during the 14 days.

As far as I understand, the dongle will trick your GPU to think there is another screen attached and force it to consume more GPU power, that's why it's required to be connected to the GPU but not the normal usb-c 3.1 plug. The "display port" model kind of speaks for itself.

I ordered one a few days ago. Not the usb-c model, instead I ordered the mini display port model. The issue you see is that the dongle is required to be plugged into usb-c port that outputs video signal from the GPU. Your usb-c port is most likely a simple USB 3.1 port and that's about it. I'm glad I did a little research before buying the usb-c model, since my mainboard also has usb-c 3.1 plug but it probably wouldn't work. I will purchase a DP to mini-DP hub cable which will bridge the connection between the GPU and lune (no electronics, simple 20pin to 20pin wiring)

Here is the info I got from:

https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh...opads_luna_adapter_for_ipad_screen_mirroring/

If this does not work, I'll refund it ASAP during the 14 days.

As far as I understand, the dongle will trick your GPU to think there is another screen attached and force it to consume more GPU power, that's why it's required to be connected to the GPU but not the normal usb-c 3.1 plug. The "display port" model kind of speaks for itself.

This! Been excited about Luna Display for a long time... For a Hackintosh we'll need to use the Mini-DP model. Ordered one myself recently. DP to Mini-DP adapter should work. I've also got an NVS 510 coming that I'm going to try on my headless Sandy Bridge setup, as it has 4xMini-DP. Been using Screens for iOS for a long time as well, which works almost as well as I think Luna Display will.

Just an update - Mini-DP Luna Display works great.

Just an update - Mini-DP Luna Display works great.

YESSS!!! i went with the miniDP out of gut instinct. i know apples gonna have SideCar soon but as usual it'll be buggy as heck at the beginning.

Hi, just saw that Lunardisplay has a 30% off Promo and free shipping now and I ordered one. Could you tell me which DP-MiniDP adapter are you using? those I see on amazon look pretty crapy and are low rated. Aliepress, doesn't seem to have those adapters at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back