Contribute
Register

Lowering temps in my Streacom F1C CustoMac Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading loads of posts about this case, it seems to me that it is a basic case flaw (style over substance) as there is no sensible airflow possible inside.
In my view the top of the case (at least above any CPU cooler) needs to be as transparent to air as it can be.
Of course, a pattern of holes (the bigger the better) will always help. Drilled, CNC'd, lasered (whatever). Probably the simplest diy job though would be to actually make a great big hole with a hole saw - say the size of a 120mm fan inlet - and then use one of those magnetic 120mm fan filters to cover the hole and to allow maximum airflow.
qpc-filters-large.jpg

If done carefully this is an easy solution that will make it perform as if there was no lid there.....as a bonus if you actually made it like a 120mm fan opening you could also play with actually putting one of those ultra slim 120mm fans there - http://www.quietpc.com/products/casefans/slipstream-120-slim-2000.
slipstream-slim.jpg

and with careful selection of the heatsink it might be possible to even use this type of fan instead of the heatsink fan.
Just my opinion of course.

tenzion said:
azzilla said:
I used a ThermalTake Slim X3 and replaced the fan with a super silent NOCTUA NF-R8 80mm Case Fan.

The fan from Noctua is amazing as it is is so silent, I can't even hear it running on highest RPM.

Hmm, when you replaced the Thermaltake fan with the Noctua, did you not remove the metal frame for the dvd/bluray slot-in player? Otherwise, it's not possible to fit it, is it? The Noctua fan is 25mm in height itself...

Yeah, i had to sacrifice the DVD frame.

Honestly, I don't see how they thought anyone could use a DVD/bluray-player with this case as airflow would then be severly crippled.

This is my idea. It's used normally in a kitchen. It's 20x20cm, but I think it can be used if I cut a little bit all sides. I know it's ugly. What do you think?

Attachments

• 50131970-1.jpg
    50131970-1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 331
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back