Contribute
Register

Lowering temps in my Streacom F1C CustoMac Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
azzilla said:
I consider that being too much as the i5 shouldn't be running much warmer than 75-80 degrees according to random googling.

There is a PWM version of that fan you know?

EDIT: Someone let me know. My question/suggestion. Is there any room to put a bigger fan? The case is 75mm tall but the fan they suggest is a crappy 40mm no-flow! How about a 60mm fan? How thick a fan can you fit? 10-15-20-25mm? On either side?

Methanoid said:
azzilla said:
I consider that being too much as the i5 shouldn't be running much warmer than 75-80 degrees according to random googling.

There is a PWM version of that fan you know?

EDIT: Someone let me know. My question/suggestion. Is there any room to put a bigger fan? The case is 75mm tall but the fan they suggest is a crappy 40mm no-flow! How about a 60mm fan? How thick a fan can you fit? 10-15-20-25mm? On either side?

Oh hey everyone – I completely missed that there had been new replies to my thread. Apologies for that.

@Methanoid: The aluminum is quite thick, so the case is not a full 75 mm on the inside. Also the holes in the side of the case will only cover a 40mm fan.

@Azilla: Thanks, I'm going to have a look at that custom cooler rig and see if it might be something for me. I'm getting quite good temperatures at full load (never climbs over 65 °C), but that's probably because it's an i3 and not i5.

@shibirian: Even if the actual temperature is lower, the PWM fan speeds up quite a lot, so it seems the motherboard is reading high temperatures as well (unless I'm mistaken as to what actually controls the CPU cooler fan?)

jsahlen said:
@shibirian: Even if the actual temperature is lower, the PWM fan speeds up quite a lot, so it seems the motherboard is reading high temperatures as well (unless I'm mistaken as to what actually controls the CPU cooler fan?)
How about different thermal paste? Liquid metal compound or something similar, maybe?

shibirian said:
jsahlen said:
How about different thermal paste? Liquid metal compound or something similar, maybe?

I've tried a high quality thermal paste with success! I used Arctic Silver 5 which is like 99,9% pure silver and i lowered the CPU temp by a couple of degrees.

azzilla said:
shibirian said:
jsahlen said:

I've tried a high quality thermal paste with success! I used Arctic Silver 5 which is like 99,9% pure silver and i lowered the CPU temp by a couple of degrees.

Yup, that's the one I'm using as well. It used to be a bit hotter even with my current cooler, but after re-applying things seem much more stable in terms of temperature, even at high loads. This is still with the lid off though.

azzilla said:
shibirian said:
jsahlen said:

And now what's your ºC with the lid on and off? I'm planning do the same hack mini with your same f1c case, even with the same i5 2405S, but I'm afraid of high temperatures. I'm considering change to i3 2105, but I think it'll not be the same 2 cores than 4 with the same tdp. Tell me about your progress. I'd do myself the holes to the lid.

azzilla said:
And now what's your ºC with the lid on and off? I'm planning do the same hack mini with your same f1c case, even with the same i5 2405S, but I'm afraid of high temperatures. I'm considering change to i3 2105, but I think it'll not be the same 2 cores than 4 with the same tdp. Tell me about your progress. I'd do myself the holes to the lid.

Temperature without the lid is around 45ºC idle mode, and 65ºC with processor pretty much maxed out.

With the lid on, i have an idle temperature of around 55ºC and 85ºC max. Too high still and I have ordered perforated aluminum sheet to make my own lid out of.

I really hope that works as my case mod has stranded :banghead:
Been using a Dremel 300 with 1mm drill bits.

The problem I encountered is constantly breaking drill bits (expensive). And that it's VERY time consuming. :beachball:

Greatly underestimated the amount of holes needed to create this pattern.

I will update as I am expecting the aluminum sheet this weekend

See pics

http://i.imgur.com/QpsJ2.jpg
I used a center punch to make the drilling easier.

http://i.imgur.com/x9Nlt.jpg
Progress

http://i.imgur.com/FjJGQ.jpg
My stencil.

Wow, that is quite ambitious! Please do update when you have the aluminum sheet – I'd be very interested to see how it turns out.

I've built a new HTPC based on that Streacom F1C case as well. And more or less experiencing the same issues as you guys are. :)

First, I agree regarding airflow - it seems there's none... I've installed the Thermaltake Slim X3 and a 40mm fan in the right side of the case and still the CPU temperature increases to around 75ºC when playing video. Idle temp starts off at 48ºC (which is too high in my opinion...)
Previously I used Arctic Silver 5, but tried changing to Arctic Cooling MX-2 which actually reduced the temperature by 2ºC.
Is there a burn-in time for thermal paste?

I guess it doesn't do any good to the temperature knowing the case is placed inside a piece of tv furniture with doors on the front - although the doors have been fitted with loudspeaker fabric to increase airflow a bit... Normally I open the door to the unit where the HTPC is placed.

I am running Openelec on my HTPC (I know it's not MAC specific...), I don't know how precise the readings are...

It's running with the lid off at the moment, but I would like to find a solution for this so that I can again place the lid on top...
I think my next step will be to drill holes in the top lid, but how to proceed?
Drill holes directly in the lid above the CPU fan?

azzilla said:
I used a ThermalTake Slim X3 and replaced the fan with a super silent NOCTUA NF-R8 80mm Case Fan.

The fan from Noctua is amazing as it is is so silent, I can't even hear it running on highest RPM.

Hmm, when you replaced the Thermaltake fan with the Noctua, did you not remove the metal frame for the dvd/bluray slot-in player? Otherwise, it's not possible to fit it, is it? The Noctua fan is 25mm in height itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back