Graphics
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GV-R687OC-1GD
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My hacktintosh is up and running ans VERY fast.
It seems odd that it takes so long to boot up (the grey Apple logo with spinning "radius" ball)

I would think a system this speedy would boot much quicker. (I am running the system disk on SSD)

Is there perhaps something I need to optimize here?

(I don't have anything else going on here during startup, just a vanilla install of OSX 10.6.8)

thanks!

One way to diagnose it is to invoke the verbose mode. When the computer starts booting, hit the space bar to stop at the TonyMac screen and type -v, then select your startup HDD, watch the install process scroll by and note any places it takes a long time or reports trying to install a kext and fails.

I would suspect you either have installed an incompatible kext or kexts or your boot options in MB could be optimized. Confirm you installed using a DSDT and ALWAYS ran MultiBeast in UserDSDT mode, never in EasyBeast mode.

hmm.
I did not run EasyBeast, rather User DSDT (correct F9)

Only other kexts were:
- 64-bit Apple boot screen
- Audio > Realtek ALC8xxHDA
- Audio > AppleHDA Rollback
- Lnx2 Mac's Realtek Ethernet

Perhaps it is just normal for it to sit on the grey apple screen for 2 minutes?

Varangian said:
hmm.
I did not run EasyBeast, rather User DSDT (correct F9)

Only other kexts were:
- 64-bit Apple boot screen
- Audio > Realtek ALC8xxHDA
- Audio > AppleHDA Rollback
- Lnx2 Mac's Realtek Ethernet

Perhaps it is just normal for it to sit on the grey apple screen for 2 minutes?

2 minutes, probably not. I didn't have any luck with HDA Rollback on mine, I had to use an updated AppleHDA.kext I found in another thread. It was version 2.1.1. I also had to use HDAEnabler889.kext

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26486

I basically followed those instructions but just deleted all the HDA kexts that were installed and started from there.

No EasyBeast....that removes a few possible causes of slow boot.

Did you have an opportunity to boot into verbose mode? Anything load particularly slowly?

One thing that I would try is to choose Use KernelCache in MultiBeast/Customization/Boot Options, if it isn't in your Boot.plist IIRC this has been the cause of slow boot for a couple of other folks.

I have not had a chance to boot in verbose just yet.. I will try tonight and post results.

I will try this KernelCache Boot Option as well.

Thank you very much for your help!

another clue here, is that Mac grey boot screnn, the Apple logo is much larger than it should be, and seems to be stretched (horizontally)
Not sure if this too is normal.

ok, I booted in verbose mode, as recommended by SnapMan.

It does indeed hang for a while on one item, and seems to fail on one.

hangs for 30 seconds on:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

hangs for 30+ seconds, then an error message:
SNB Framebuffer did not show up, unload.

Everything does boot up ok after that, however, seems like something is not happy.
any idea how to fix?

thanks

yup, that did it:

"I went to 'advanced bios settings" and where it said "onboard VGA"

I changed it from the 'enabled' state to "Enable if no ext PEG" (something like that)."

20 sec boot time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back