Contribute
Register

Looking For NVME SSD Disk Reader

Motherboard
Mac Mini > Need model # and year > See Rules!
CPU
i5 > Need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
Nvidia > need model name > See Rules!
I'm looking for a way to read this type of disk, via an enclosure or usb adaptor (IE within windows/linux). I want to backup a mac mini 2013 before I put linux on it. Can this disk be plugged into a pcie slot? Is this called an msata disk (ie the original version of m2) or is it called m-key?

So far I have found this kit which allows you to install any m2 sata disk into the slot.

I have also found this device, but it might only work when connector to the m2 adapter that comes with it.

apple nvme.jpg

Last edited:
M.2 disks have two posibilities regarding the slot, M or B. Most Common are the M slot type.
There are adapters for pci slots and USB cases in Amazon
Just be sure that the adapter is compatible With the disk, also check the recomended disks

BTW, of you are only making a back up, any USB external drive will do and you’ll get rid of all posible problems.
Connect the disk and let Time Machine do the work.
Without your specific model i’m not sure the kit will work, it says it’s for the 2014 Mac mini

Your Apple systems SSD drive will not have the same pin-out as a retail NVME M.2 drive, which is aimed at the PC market. The Apple SSD will have 12+6 pins, the M.2 will have either an E or M key setup. Before you purchase any adapters you need to make sure you have the correct pin-in for your Apple SSD (12+6) and that you can connect your adapter USB/M.2 to your system so you can read the Mac mini's drive.

I have used adapters to install a PC NVME drive in an iMac 2014 system, but not the other way around, which you need.

There are adapters available for what you need, but whether they will accept the Apple SSD is another matter. They will not be cheap.

The bottom of the eBay link below shows a number of different adapters for different aged Apple SSD's. One of these adapters might work with your Mac mini drive. You obviously don't need to purchase from this seller, but it would give you a better idea of what you need to search for when looking on other sites.

Your Apple systems SSD drive will not have the same pin-out as a retail NVME M.2 drive, which is aimed at the PC market. The Apple SSD will have 12+6 pins, the M.2 will have either an E or M key setup. Before you purchase any adapters you need to make sure you have the correct pin-in for your Apple SSD (12+6) and that you can connect your adapter USB/M.2 to your system so you can read the Mac mini's drive.

I have used adapters to install a PC NVME drive in an iMac 2014 system, but not the other way around, which you need.

There are adapters available for what you need, but whether they will accept the Apple SSD is another matter. They will not be cheap.

The bottom of the eBay link below shows a number of different adapters for different aged Apple SSD's. One of these adapters might work with your Mac mini drive. You obviously don't need to purchase from this seller, but it would give you a better idea of what you need to search for when looking on other sites.

yes, I see. I had no luck with finding an adapter, only the reverse of what I needed. I am trying to backup this system in it's current state before doing other repairs. I did a raw sector backup (Macrium Reflect in an easy2boot usb drive worked and it was high speed!) and my next step will be to restore an image from a different machine.

Back