Contribute
Register

Looking for more from Hack, not as fast as I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
10.8.3 & Win7 Ultimate & Ubuntu 13.04
CPU
i5 3570k @ 4.3ghz
Graphics
EVGA GTX670FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I currently have my Hack running great, dual booting, and seemingly working perfectly. I have 10.8.3 on a 300gb Velociraptor and Windows 7 on a 120gb SSD. I have Windows for just gaming, so hard drive space is not a big deal. My specs are in the Sig, basically a z77 DS3H, 3570k I5, 8 GB 1600 DDR3 G.Skill, and a GEforce 640. Like I said it is running great and stable, functions as it should. How ever when building this rig, my first new computer built in 10 years, and being used to my 3 year old entry level ASUS Win7 Laptop and 2009 MacBook Pro, I was expecting a really, really crazy fast computer ( color me a newb lol ) And what I have now ( atleast in osx ) doesn't appear to be running any faster than my 2009 MBP with a Core 2 Duo and 4gb ram. Novabench is 961 in windows 7 and 928 in ML.

What would my best bet be for an upgrade to get more out of it? My Mobo supports up to 32GB ram, should I go with a kit like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231522

Or would my money be better spent on a new CPU? Perhaps an i7?

I use OSX for everything other than gaming, which is just basic office stuff, web browsing, and tinkering, so I am not exactly a power user, its just that loading apps, switching between desktop environments, opening new windows ect ect ect doesn't seem to be as snappy as I'd like. Windows 7 is running my games on ultra * far cry 3, C.O.D. Modern Warfare 3, and Counter Strike Source * and load times are great with the SSD, and I haven't really tried to do anything else in windows.

a ssd is the single fastest and best upgrade to any computer it will smoke a raptor and a gt640 is kinda weak maybe to a big overclock i run 3770k at 4.5 daily and slow is not in my computers glossary. its the raptor thats holding you back and hopefully you have your boot drives plugged into the 6.0gps sata plugs

What format is best readable and writable by both operating systems? if I end up buying an SSD for osx I would like to reformat the 300 gb drive as a shared storage drive. And is there anything to look for in an SSD or are they all pretty much the same?

So do you believe my ram is sufficient?

probably best to have two different backup drives one for each os. and your ram is fine unless your a video editor or graphics designier. the amount of ram isnt that much of an upgrade unless you use it all. speed of ram makes more of a difference. like i said an ssd and better graphics card and a overclock will be best

Okay I will ponder my storage options and go with an SSD for my OSX boot, can I simply copy all the data over or will I have to go through a fresh install?

Also, this is the ram I have,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428, I am thinking of buying another 2 sticks as well as the SSD, just because.
Is it sufficient speed? Or is there noticeably faster out there that I should upgrade to in the future instead of just buying 8 more gigs?

1600 is pretty fast yea i mean theres not really a real world difference between ram speed rather than generation such as ddr ddr2. i always recomend a clean install over cloneing always yes also samsung vpro is the fastest ssd on the market currently and intel is the most relyable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back