Contribute
Register

Looking for GPU recommendation (around $100-$200)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU
Intel i5 3570K
Graphics
MSI R6850 PE/OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There seems to be a literally countless amount of threads on graphic cards and their performance, yet I can not seem to find an answer to my question (as I am sure personal preference comes into play as well). With that in mind I apologize ahead of time if this has already been answered somewhere.

I am in the middle of building a hackintosh. All part are accounted for and ready to order, except for the GPU. I am a professional photographer and competitive (non-pro) Starcraft 2 player and I am looking for a GPU (around $100 - $200 USD) that will allow me to stream and play at the high to ultra settings level on at 1600x1050 resolution. Below is a list of the components being used in the build. I appreciate you all taking the time to help!

- Asus MAXIMUS V GENE Z77 mATX DDR3 Intel LGA 1155 Motherboard
- Intel Core i5 3570K Processor 3.4
- Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz
- Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

thelostswede said:
Get a Radeon HD 6870 before they sell out, as they work OOB and can be had for as little as $150 if you shop around. Newegg has an XFX card that's $140 after MIR

Will this card allow me to reach my goals without compromise?

I would say so, yes.
I have one (different brand, same GPU) and admittedly I play games in Windows, not OS X, but I play most games at high on a 2048x1152 resolution display no problem. Starcraft shouldn't be an issue at all. The card also has a wide range of display outputs and technically you should be able to hook up 3-4 screens to it no problem. Again, I've only used my card with two screens in OS X, which works just fine.

thelostswede said:
I would say so, yes.
I have one (different brand, same GPU) and admittedly I play games in Windows, not OS X, but I play most games at high on a 2048x1152 resolution display no problem. Starcraft shouldn't be an issue at all. The card also has a wide range of display outputs and technically you should be able to hook up 3-4 screens to it no problem. Again, I've only used my card with two screens in OS X, which works just fine.

At the most I will be using two screens, which won't be for a while. I have actually had multiple people send me to that exact link. What makes this model so popular with hackintosh builds, or it just just good in general. And what about the xfx radeon 7770?

HeavyArms said:
And what about the xfx radeon 7770?

There is no support in Mac OS X for the 7xxx series.

Tagny Daggart said:
HeavyArms said:
And what about the xfx radeon 7770?

There is no support in Mac OS X for the 7xxx series.

Ha, simple question, simple answer. Thank you. :p

What makes a Radeon HD6870 so go? Well, first of all it just works in OS X, i.e. OOB - out of box, so there's no need to install extra kexts as there's native support.
Secondly it's a card that offers good performance for the money, but the cards are on their way out, as they're being replaced by the 7000-series, so grab one while you can.
The 6870 will also be faster than a 7770, but as stated, the 7000-series doesn't work in OS X as yet and it might never work, since it looks like Apple went with Nvidia this time around, although it's possible that the updated iMac will continue to use AMD graphics.

thelostswede said:
What makes a Radeon HD6870 so go? Well, first of all it just works in OS X, i.e. OOB - out of box, so there's no need to install extra kexts as there's native support.
Secondly it's a card that offers good performance for the money, but the cards are on their way out, as they're being replaced by the 7000-series, so grab one while you can.
The 6870 will also be faster than a 7770, but as stated, the 7000-series doesn't work in OS X as yet and it might never work, since it looks like Apple went with Nvidia this time around, although it's possible that the updated iMac will continue to use AMD graphics.

Is there an Nvidia card you would recommend around this price range? or will the AMD blow it out of the water?

Not one that works as easily.
Have a look here for some cards that work http://tonymacx86.blogspot.tw/2012/03/o ... d-5xx.html
I guess the GeForce 560 is what you should be looking at.
Keep in mind that they all require additional drivers to be installed, i.e. non native support.
The good thing with the 6870 is that it will be supported for as long as Apple supports its own hardware with the Radeon HD 6000-series graphics in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back