Contribute
Register

Looking For Cheapest Hackintosh Build (Or Laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

I am new to the community. Glad to be a part of it. I had a question, I am looking to get in on the Hackintosh game. I don't have a very big budget unfortunately so what do you reckon I start off with? Custom Desktop build or a laptop? What would be cheaper and more reliable? I just need it for normal use. Nothing too intensive.

Thanks!

I recently installed Mojave on an HP 8300 SSF that I had built from a barebones system. Extremely smooth both in installation and operation using this guide:

Next time I need a cheap desktop system I will try a Dell 7010, which also looks excellent:

I don't have a very big budget unfortunately so what do you reckon I start off with? Custom Desktop build or a laptop?
For a first hackintosh it's much better to try a desktop. Much less complicated than hacking a laptop. If you do already have a laptop that may work you can certainly give it a go first to see if this is the right thing for you. The Dells and HPs mentioned above have been tested thoroughly and are very inexpensive. The best hack choices for newbies with no previous experience or those that just need a second low cost build. It's already built for you. Has Windows pre-installed so you can flash the BIOS via the Windows desktop. After that just clean install macOS over Windows and in a few hours you've got a fully working hack, no fuss, no muss.

They're well built and reliable. They were very expensive when new but very cheap now due to their age and the massive quantities of them in stock on warehouse shelves. Corporations bought these by the millions back in 2012/13 and most were returned "off lease" after just 3 years of use. They are well built enough to last for 10 years, much better than any consumer focused, off the shelf versions by Dell/HP at major retailers like Walmart, Amazon and Best Buy.

If you are in the land of OZ, down under, you can get an HP 8300 with i7-3770 for just over 200 dollars. The HD4000 graphics work perfectly with Mojave or Catalina. Probably the best all around compatible budget choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back