Contribute
Register

Looking for a Good Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can probably find a GTX 560 TI for < $200. It's better than the 6870, but I don't know about getting it running in OSX...

Hey guys, I havent been around here lately much, and I really don't game... but I've been looking for a 3 monitor solution for my hack. I'd like to get an nVidia because of CUDA and some Adobe products I use. But apparently there is no single card option for triple monitors, only SLI.

So that leads me to a 6850 or 6870 card...

The main thing I want is silence, I hate fan noise... I still get by with my old silent heat pipe card, (but it only handles 2 monitors). So I'm looking at the above link for the gigabyte 6850, or maybe the gigabyte 3 fan 6870 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125357

Anyone use 3 monitors and one of these two cards with their setup?

Also, with Apple shipping AMD cards for the past few years, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with GPU rendering using Adobe or Final Cut X (I still use FCP 7 daily) on an AMD card?

fuma said:
Hey guys, I havent been around here lately much, and I really don't game... but I've been looking for a 3 monitor solution for my hack. I'd like to get an nVidia because of CUDA and some Adobe products I use. But apparently there is no single card option for triple monitors, only SLI.

The main thing I want is silence, I hate fan noise... I still get by with my old silent heat pipe card, (but it only handles 2 monitors). So I'm looking at the above link for the gigabyte 6850, or maybe the gigabyte 3 fan 6870 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125357

Also, with Apple shipping AMD cards for the past few years, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with GPU rendering using Adobe or Final Cut X (I still use FCP 7 daily) on an AMD card?

FCPX works great with an ATI GPU.

The gigabyte 6870 with 3 fans is dead silent. I had one. You would connect 1 monitor via DVI, 1 via HDMI, and 1 via an ACTIVE mini DP to (DVI/HDMI) adapter.

Gordo74 said:
fuma said:

The gigabyte 6870 with 3 fans is dead silent. I had one. You would connect 1 monitor via DVI, 1 via HDMI, and 1 via an ACTIVE mini DP to (DVI/HDMI) adapter.

Would you recommend the 6870 over the 560Ti, or is there some better option?

danielu13 said:
Gordo74 said:
fuma said:

Would you recommend the 6870 over the 560Ti, or is there some better option?

Those are both good cards. With the 560Ti, you gain CUDA, but you can only run 2 monitors off of the card. With the 6870, you lose CUDA, but you can run 4 monitors at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back