Contribute
Register

Looking for a firewire PCI card that has an internal header I can use with the G5 front panel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, even though I'll rarely/never use it, I can't deal with it not working. Plus, I'm going to need a firewire card for some legacy firewire devices anyway.

Is there a PCI firewire card that works OOB with OS X, that has an internal header I could use to hook up to my G5's front panel firewire port?
(seems like more modern motherboards no longer have firewire headers on them...)

So, even though I'll rarely/never use it, I can't deal with it not working. Plus, I'm going to need a firewire card for some legacy firewire devices anyway.

Is there a PCI firewire card that works OOB with OS X, that has an internal header I could use to hook up to my G5's front panel firewire port?
(seems like more modern motherboards no longer have firewire headers on them...)

As you already know, firewire is old tech and currently has very little use. I used a PCIe Firewire adapter on my Mac Pro hack and I just found that it is no longer in production.

When you search on the web you will find more PCIe adapters then PCI adapters.

Either way, I suggest that you use Amazon and return any adapter that does not work for you.

Good modding,
neil

See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-mac-pro-hack.28892/ post # 4

The Sunix FWB3414G has got a LSI FW643 chip and the right ports:
http://www.sunix.com/en/product_detail.php?cid=3&kid=9&gid=26&pid=307

Perhaps you also need to something like this to connect it to your front panel:
1 x Standard 6-pin firewire plug to 2x5 way pin header connector.
Like this one: http://pcpartsandcables.com//product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=38

Last edited:
As you already know, firewire is old tech and currently has very little use. I used a PCIe Firewire adapter on my Mac Pro hack and I just found that it is no longer in production.

Ain't that the truth.

I'm with Obioban - in my case, wanting to connect a "BlackCH" G5 front-panel cable to an ASUS Z97-A/M mobo PSW. Until I read about the Sunix card was considering asking BlackCH to make me a custom cable that has a grounded PSW connector to avoid jamming the 1394 Gd into the PSW connector, which looks pretty hokey.

What are other people doing to connect a G5 cable to the mobo PSW?

Best'

richard

Ain't that the truth.

I'm with Obioban - in my case, wanting to connect a "BlackCH" G5 front-panel cable to an ASUS Z97-A/M mobo PSW. Until I read about the Sunix card was considering asking BlackCH to make me a custom cable that has a grounded PSW connector to avoid jamming the 1394 Gd into the PSW connector, which looks pretty hokey.

What are other people doing to connect a G5 cable to the mobo PSW?

Best'

richard

Richard I recommend all to build their own cable from their motherboard to the existing Apple front panel.

This is fairly easy if you have the original Apple cable that connected to the front panel. The pin out is documented in a good number of posts. The front panel power switch and LED use only three wires from your motherboard.

Anyway the only trick circuit is getting the front panel audio to auto switch when a head set is plugged or removed.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back