Contribute
Register

Looking for a decent graphics card so I can replace my old one ad also have it work with my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Hey all,

I dual boot into Windows on my Hackintosh so I can play PC games. My current graphics card is some years old now and is and will definitely more so be having trouble handling more games in the coming months.

I plan to have someone build me a decent gaming pc when I can afford the full thing, but for now I am considering replacing my graphics card and then possibly using that new card in the future PC build.

Can anyone recommend a decent graphics card ($200-250) that is compatible with my current set up so hopefully all I would have to do is switch the old one for the new one and I'm up and going. (I assume there could be a little tinkering once into the OS).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yosemite web drivers support the GTX970 and GTX980. If you're on Yosemite, you just need to get them installed. If you don't want to mess with nVidia web drivers, GTX 770s can be had for under $300 and they'll make you Radeon 6850 cry, they're so fast. If you're a little lighter on cash, a GTX 760 for $200-ish, or a GTX 660 for around $170.

This is probably the route I'd go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932 - eVGA GTX 760 Superclocked. Right at $200.

I know there are AMD options, but I've always shied away from them because they take more effort to get working in OS X. I'd rather just stick to nVidia myself.

Thanks for your replies thus far.

Oddly enough, the OS X partition is still running Lion, I believe. I haven't upgraded because I really have only been using it to run XBMC with all of my movies and whatnot and I have a whole other hackintosh I use for pro audio work. The hackintosh with Lion on it has been running fine so I haven't decided to upgrade. Would that be an issue? I'm willing to go through the upgrade process. I'm just worried it will mess with what's working now such as Python or that I may have to do a full format and install which in that case there would be a lot of stuff to set back up.

And yes, I would be using the Windows partition for mostly just games. No Motion or FCPX.

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies thus far.

Oddly enough, the OS X partition is still running Lion, I believe. I haven't upgraded because I really have only been using it to run XBMC with all of my movies and whatnot and I have a whole other hackintosh I use for pro audio work. The hackintosh with Lion on it has been running fine so I haven't decided to upgrade. Would that be an issue? I'm willing to go through the upgrade process. I'm just worried it will mess with what's working now such as Python or that I may have to do a full format and install which in that case there would be a lot of stuff to set back up.

And yes, I would be using the Windows partition for mostly just games. No Motion or FCPX.

Thanks!
Best bet would be to page back through the Buyer's Guides for when Lion first came out (June 2011 or so wasn't it?) and check the recommended cards. Then look at the last Buyer's Guide just before Mountain Lion came out (June 2012 or so. right?) and see if there were better cards available then.
See http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=buyer's guide

Would something like the Asus r9 280x work with my current system?

I found one used for $200, but am thinking of asking him for $150 for it. I've read some threads that it has worked out of the box for many people, but I'm unsure if that's because of their specific hardware and OS.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back