Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hey guys, i'm going to be buying a new PC Intel tower and need help to make sure i'm buying the right hardware. money is really tight what with the economy, plus i'm a student. the only thing i want to use the machine for is to test out the OSX development suite for the iphone. i'm not looking at using this as a daily, 14 hour a day type machine in OSX. i'll be using it for Win7 and for the usual word processing, email, internet etc. if i like the OSX development suite i'll buy a mac mini as that's the cheapest machine available.

does anyone know if it's possible to run OSX in vmware as that would be ideal for me.

anyway, i was looking at buying an intel i5 750 or an i3 chip. either one would be more than enough speed wise for me as i dont do anything high end. i was looking at the i3 because it's cheaper, but i looked at the apple range and there aren't any machines using the i3, only the i5, so i thought the i5 would be a much safer bet. does anyone here know if it's easier or even possible to use the i3? would it be easier to run the i5 750 or an i3?

i already have a nvidia 8800GT 512mb card so i was hoping i could use that, but i don't know if it's supported. i don't know what mboard to buy and really want to make sure i get the most compatible mboard.

thanks

Newbie said:
hey guys, i'm going to be buying a new PC Intel tower and need help to make sure i'm buying the right hardware. money is really tight what with the economy, plus i'm a student. the only thing i want to use the machine for is to test out the OSX development suite for the iphone. i'm not looking at using this as a daily, 14 hour a day type machine in OSX. i'll be using it for Win7 and for the usual word processing, email, internet etc. if i like the OSX development suite i'll buy a mac mini as that's the cheapest machine available.

does anyone know if it's possible to run OSX in vmware as that would be ideal for me.

anyway, i was looking at buying an intel i5 750 or an i3 chip. either one would be more than enough speed wise for me as i dont do anything high end. i was looking at the i3 because it's cheaper, but i looked at the apple range and there aren't any machines using the i3, only the i5, so i thought the i5 would be a much safer bet. does anyone here know if it's easier or even possible to use the i3? would it be easier to run the i5 750 or an i3?

i already have a nvidia 8800GT 512mb card so i was hoping i could use that, but i don't know if it's supported. i don't know what mboard to buy and really want to make sure i get the most compatible mboard.

thanks

Ok: The entire i series is compatible, make your choice. I think that there is a Mac Book Pro that uses the i3, but there is someone who has use one here.

Go for a Gigabyte P55 board, and your graphics should be fine, if someone else could tell me if I am right about it....

Are you building a PC, or buying?

Tom

tinkerC said:
Newbie said:

thanks

Ok: The entire i series is compatible, make your choice. I think that there is a Mac Book Pro that uses the i3, but there is someone who has use one here.

Go for a Gigabyte P55 board, and your graphics should be fine, if someone else could tell me if I am right about it....

Tom

oh ok. are you sure the i3 is compatible? i checked the site and they're only using the core2duo and the i5/i7. no i3.

which board is guaranteed to work? i don't want to buy something and then run into problems with it.

i don't mind buying or building, whichever gives a better chance of OSX running.

MacMan said:
Newbie said:
oh ok. are you sure the i3 is compatible? i checked the site and they're only using the core2duo and the i5/i7. no i3.

which board is guaranteed to work? i don't want to buy something and then run into problems with it.

i don't mind buying or building, whichever gives a better chance of OSX running.
You can find a list of working CPUs here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/05/iboot-supported-with-vanilla-kernel-for.html

is there any other way for me to confirm for myself that the i3 works? im worried about buying it and then coming home and having a CPU that doesnt work.

thanks bro

most i3's are supported:

And it doesn't really matter about your CPU (as most are confirmed to work), the motherboard chipsets are most important.

Attachments

• i3.JPG
    i3.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 179
Newbie said:
tinkerC said:
Newbie said:

thanks

Tom

The i3 will work as long as it is on the list. Pick your own motherboard, preferably P55 based, then post your selection (with a link) here, so we can revise your choice.

Tom

tinkerC said:
The i3 will work as long as it is on the list. Pick your own motherboard, preferably P55 based, then post your selection (with a link) here, so we can revise your choice.

Tom

Or pick a build from my list of "Suggested Builds for New Users" - in my signature ;)
Guaranteed to work with OS X (some with minor tweaks).

ok cool, i'm looking at your link now.

btw does it have to be a P55 board? the H55's are a lot cheaper, but i don't mind using the P55 if it'll work.

does anyone here know much about using vmware and running OSX from inside?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back