Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I upgrade, repair, and modify computers, especially laptops, in my spare time. A majority of the laptops I work on are from 2010-2014, as many laptops from this era feature components that are all replaceable and upgradeable making them still an incredibly powerful and competent machine in 2018.

I love to get to work on computers and drastically help people at the same time. I often only end up charging the client only for parts and will offer to sell their old parts online to further entice the deal.

The latest laptop I worked on was a HP 4540s, which underwent the following transformation:

CPU: i5-3230m -> i7-3632QM
RAM: 8GB DDR3 -> 16GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7650M 2GB
Primary Drive: 750GB 5,400 rpm HDD -> 500GB SSD
Secondary Drive: Multi-Disc Drive
Wifi-Card: Some default Single Band 150Mbps Crap -> Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 867Mbps
Screen: 15" 720p VA 60Hz -> 15" 1080p IPS 60Hz
Battery: 47Wh
Other: Windows 10, AMD Radeon, and Intel i7 Stickers!

Hours and hours of research went into finding compatible CPU's, screens, and Wifi-Cards, as well as troubleshooting with getting 8+ GB of RAM to work. This website certainly helped in many ways.

So I've been almost all over the web, looked over some subreddits, checked out Tom's Hardware and iFixit, looking for forums to share part compatibility notes and ask very particular questions. So far, TonyMac is certainly the most adventurous group when it comes to pushing what hardware can do. I am just so tired of asking questions that either get no response, or get misinformed responses copied straight from the manufacturer or Crucial.

However, I (my clients) am not that interested in Hackintoshs, so I feel kind of out of place posting here. Can anyone redirect me to a niche community on the web, or am I best at home here?

Thank you for reading.

I don't know about a global community, but my country's local PC forum is a wealth of information filled with many knowledgeable people.

www.carbonite.co.za

I live in South Africa and out here we make do with what we have access to so there are a lot of mavericks doing weird and wonderful things to suck every last drop of usefulness out of PCs. I'm sure you'll find someone/people on there who you can connect with or at least point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back