Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i5 10600
Graphics
RX 580
I've had this problem for about four years and trawled many posts but still not figured out what I'm doing wrong.

If I put OS X and Windows on the same hard drive Clover won't default boot. I've tried volume name, UUID and EFI string in the default boot field but no joy. Strangely it works fine if I have them on different hard drives but having recently bought an SSD for booting I'd like them both on it.

Clover will default boot if the it is selected in the Startup disk prefs panel but that doesn't survive more than one reboot even though my NVRAM appears to be working (in hardware) as iMessage and FaceTime work and I've done the helloworld test. Also I have added IgnoreNVRAMBoot to my config so it shouldn't matter.

This normally appears in the log:

2:598 0:002 === [ GetEfiBootDeviceFromNvram ] =========================
2:599 0:000 - efi-boot-device-data: MemoryMapped(0xB,0xFFE00000,0xFFEFFFFF)\FvFile(2B0585EB-D8B8-49A9-8B8C-E21B01AEF2B7)
2:599 0:000 Default boot entry not found
2:599 0:000 DefaultIndex=-1 and MainMenu.EntryCount=12
2:694 0:094 GUI ready
9:286 6:592 Boot option Boot0000 not found

I had a suspicion it was related to the partition order so I reinstalled everything in a different order to change the partitions but that has made no difference.

This occurs on both my Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 i5 2500 machines and my Lenovo laptop so I can't help thinking I've got something wrong.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated because it's been doing my head in for about four years over about three different versions of OS X and two different Windows versions.

Config.plist attached.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 208
Moved to Multi Booting.
The 'sticky' guides in this forum may help you.

I've looked through the stickies many times but no joy.

I've looked through the stickies many times but no joy.
On internal disks the path /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI is an emergency path supposed to be used only when firmware cannot boot from something else (or in this case the macOS 'Startup Disk' panel is setting the 'BootNext' NVRAM variable to Boot0000, which apparently doesn't exist (or it maybe is the vendor specific 'Mac OS X' entry that won't do anything on UEFI firmware) causing firmware to use the emergency path which is apparently how you boot Clover).

Add an entry in the boot manager pointing to /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI and you will be able to select it in the boot order like any other OS.

Last edited:
On internal disks the path /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI is an emergency path supposed to be used only when firmware cannot boot from something else (or in this case the macOS 'Startup Disk' panel is setting the 'BootNext' NVRAM variable to Boot0000, which apparently doesn't exist (or it maybe is the vendor specific 'Mac OS X' entry that won't do anything on UEFI firmware) causing firmware to use the emergency path which is apparently how you boot Clover).

Add an entry in the boot manager pointing to /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI and you will be able to select it in the boot order like any other OS.

Thanks very much for your reply. Where do I add /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI?
I don't have a problem booting to Clover it is my default volume that won't autoboot.

Thanks very much for your reply. Where do I add /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI?
I don't have a problem booting to Clover it is my default volume that won't autoboot.
We are talking about different things. With regard to autoboot and DefaultVolume, save the Clover log to /EFI/CLOVER/MISC/PREBOOT.LOG by pressing F2 and upload that.

We are talking about different things. With regard to autoboot and DefaultVolume, save the Clover log to /EFI/CLOVER/MISC/PREBOOT.LOG by pressing F2 and upload that.
Yes, thought so. Here's my log. Thanks again.

Attachments

• preboot.txt
    27.8 KB · Views: 182
Yes, thought so. Here's my log. Thanks again.
I set IgnoreNVRAMBoot=true, made some changes using the partition UUID instead of 'Macintosh HD' which shouldn't make a difference. See what happens now.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 148
I set IgnoreNVRAMBoot=true, made some changes using the partition UUID instead of 'Macintosh HD' which shouldn't make a difference. See what happens now.
I don't get it. I tried your config with a different UUID as the it wasn't the right drive and it seems to bloody work! I've already tried UUIDs before and it made no difference. The really confusing thing is that I couldn't make out any changes from my original so I went back to that and tried it with UUID and that also bloody works! Plus the original had IgnoreNVRAMBoot too!

I don't get it, what did you do?!!!!!!

Big thanks for your time BTW.

I don't get it. I tried your config with a different UUID as the it wasn't the right drive and it seems to bloody work! I've already tried UUIDs before and it made no difference. The really confusing thing is that I couldn't make out any changes from my original so I went back to that and tried it with UUID and that also bloody works! Plus the original had IgnoreNVRAMBoot too!

I don't get it, what did you do?!!!!!!

Big thanks for your time BTW.
All I know is if you look at the preboot.log again under 'scan volumes' you see what Clover is up to:
Code:
1:983  0:045  === [ ScanVolumes ] =======================================
1:983  0:000  Found 27 volumes with blockIO
2:195  0:000  - [16]: Volume: PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)\HD(1,GPT,F5FAFB1B-4FEA-4C46-89F5-89838F05C372,0x28,0x64000)
You have a [number] which is the index Clover shows later in the logs and its always the first match in this order that gets used for whatever is going on at the time. And you have the device path description which is what gets string matched to whatever you put in places like DefaultVolume, Hidden etc. so a UUID should match because its part of the device path. But you can use any part that is a match. Labels like 'Macintosh HD' should work according to the docs but thats not part of the device path description, its part of the file system so may have its own 'behaviours' etc.

Edit: I notice you are using the VBoxHFS driver. As the volume name is coming from the file system in the first instance you might also try with Apple's HFS+ driver. If it isn't working you can always enable the debug option so the process is logged verbosely and report it to the developers on sourceforge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back