GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I've been using osx86 since, well, I just checked IM account and I'm registered there since 2006 so I guess around that time, feels much longer though.
Thing is, I'm not the tweaking type because I use this rig for work (image editing and audio) so require it to be stable and with minimal edits (kexts)
I've recently upgraded my RAM from 4 to 8GB and that's when the panics started to happen, because I was also running overclocked (2,4 aint much these days) I was getting random crashes, sometimes daily. Big vertical lines across the screen, mostly grey and that always got me thinking it was GFX related.
But running the system at default of 2,4Ghz I can confirm it's because of the overclock combined with maximum RAM (Ram timings were at default before and after and only FSB was upped to 333 for OC)
This only happens with 8GB not 4GB with a mild CPU overclock to 3GHz.
So now I'm stuck with a slow system and the 8GB RAM didn't help much either to avoid mac accessing VM which is something I need to ask you guys before I go on.
Why is that whenever I'm working a few hours on a project in PS (2-4GB) my HD starts trashing like mad (VM) and the system slows down while activity monitor still shows a few gigabytes of inactive ram just sitting there.
Are there issues with Lion releasing RAM while working on large projects or is this because hardware configuration? or maybe PS? or just osx86?
Anyway on to the main question.

I want to upgrade to a +3GHz CPU and 16GB ram, should I go the trusty sandy bridge route or take my chances with the more future proof Ivy?
My rig as it is runs very stable with very minimal edits, only DSDT and FakeSMC kext, so if possible I would like to make the upgrade process as easy as possible which might be an issue with the ivy's no?
I even hope I can upgrade without reinstalling OSX by using the proper DSDT and maybe a few kexts.
Now on to the hardware:

Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 or other (ivy)?
Sandy 2500k or Ivy 3550/3570k?
Corsair Vengeance or Gskill Ares-series or Geil Corsa Enhance?
Corsair Hydro H60 or Thermalright Silver Arrow?
Will the Silver Arrow fit with the vengeance RAM? and I'm going for silence here, not overclocking so my guess is to go with the Thermalright.

Again, I would like to make this process as easy/quickly as possible because I have done so many reinstalls and fiddling around in the past that I just cannot cope with that anymore. I will keep the HD5770 and might upgrade to another 16GB or SSD in the near future to speed up things a bit more. Win7 will probably crap out with the new mobo but I rarely use it anymore (to play a game)

Thanks in advance and take care!

We will probably know more about IB support after the Apple WWDC 2012 which will end on June 15th. Right now IB works with a custom patched kernel, so if you need a new machine and cannot wait for official IB support, i advice building a SB rig, which is fully supported without hassles.

(I'm holding on to upgrade because i want to build an IB machine, can't wait anymore! :banghead: )

I think you should go with a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3.... since the HD3000 is supported. Are you planing on buying a gpu?
And if you possible do a time machine back up and use that to restore on the new install.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

@Junior: I'm keeping the HD5770 mate so will disable the onboard GFX but it's good to have a backup that works OOB if the 5770 fails on me.
Why the TM method?

@Gordo: I normaly don't use onboard audio since I rarely use windows anymore (surround for games) and I use a Presonus firewire audio interface in mac but again it's nice to have a backup that works. I will look into this.

@mister: Would it be worth waiting because for all I know it may take another couple of months before the ivy's are properly supported?

Later

Snowy said:
@mister: Would it be worth waiting because for all I know it may take another couple of months before the ivy's are properly supported?

IB cpus are faster than the corresponding SB models by a factor of around 3-5%, so it's no big deal. Since the z77 chip natively supports usb3, there's a chance that we'll see it working at full speed in mac os too. IB cpus tend to overheat a lot more than SB, and this makes overclockers unhappy. z77 has got native pci-express 3.0 but no one cares about it at the moment.
That's all. If you want a new rig right now get a SB system, you won't regret it.

mister_spaccato said:
Snowy said:

IB cpus are faster than the corresponding SB models by a factor of around 3-5%, so it's no big deal. Since the z77 chip natively supports usb3, there's a chance that we'll see it working at full speed in mac os too. IB cpus tend to overheat a lot more than SB, and this makes overclockers unhappy. z77 has got native pci-express 3.0 but no one cares about it at the moment.
That's all. If you want a new rig right now get a SB system, you won't regret it.

Odd, aren't the new ivy's 22nm outputting lower wattage then the Sandy's?
That's the only reason I would wait since I still prefer a silent cool system over an overclocking beast.

Good thing overall wattage for hardware seems to go down so I can still use the 430W PSU.

Will this drive work OOB? OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB

Apologies for asking question that can be found with little research but I want to get over with it as fast as possible ;)

Just googled this info from oc.com

Intel's Ivy Bridge lineup has been making headlines with its latest 22nm processors, but many people who overclocked these found the temperatures to be significantly hotter than last year's Sandy Bridge CPUs. This puts the new Ivy Bridge at a severe disadvantage as the cooler Sandy Bridge chips allow for better overclocking headroom. Intel has stated in a recent report that the Ivy Bridge's 22nm die shrink does increase thermal density, but adds that "this is as designed and meets quality and reliability expectations for parts operating under specified conditions." As such, overclocking enthusiasts itching to get their hands dirty with the latest Ivy Bridge CPUs might want to invest heavily on a great cooling setup or just delay buying until Intel comes up with a better batch on its next stepping.

I think I'll go with the SB then.

I would just go with the TM backup since your changing system core components! Otherwise I would suggest the Ccc method... But it really depend on your resources! You can restore straight from the installer of SL if you go with the TM method!

Alright, thanks Junior and Timb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back