Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys, I have been using macs for a very long time and haven't built a pc since my last P4 Prescott which was in 05 I want to say... I was waiting for my dual 2.5 G5 to die before building a hack but it won't die. It is however, very very slow. Im really scared to get into a new build but found one for sale. Here are the parts being used. I did look them up and they seem to be 'older' components. Please let me know your thoughts on the gear and running 10.8 on it.

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ds3l
2.67 Q9400 Core2Quad
4gb Ram
Geforce 9600
500Gb drive with MT. Lion installed.

Seller said bench marks were 6600-6700 and the price is $400.00

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am just looking to replace my G5 which is primarily used for web surfing, Photoshopping and other lite chores.... I have a Mac Pro i use for my primary work which is a producer of music for tv and film and some remixing for artists. So, long winded, yes but will it work and thoughts on price and the parts?

Sorry for the long post. Just nervous about the parts and the price and the 'what if something goes wrong' aspect of it all...

Thanks in advance.

Pandas

p.s. if i have done something wrong or didn't post correctly please be easy. I did read the rules and thought i was ok but perhaps you see something i didn't. My apologies in advance.

It's probably not unreasonable, but for $400 you can get into a newer system if you can donate a couple parts from an older PC build such as case, PSU, or hard drive. I also have no idea for the stability for Mountain Lion on that configuration. It may be solid, but I haven't seen many C2D ML builds so I can't compare.

Thanks Alans17. i appreciate it. Might just do that. Again. i am just hoping if something does go wrong i will be able to fix it. Terribly nervous. Like buying a replica of your favorite car but with parts that were made long ago....

the first thing i would do is buy another hard drive and clone the first using super duper or something like it so if you have problems you have a back up to work with. I would offer 300 and go from there.

Will Do. The person offers the same service to install ML for $80 and $50 for SL if you bring him the parts or has these boxes for anywhere form $180 to $400. I can try and bargin but if i can get a 'better' machine for not much more i'd rather do that...

thanks again guys and please continue with any advice you have for me. I am bringing him my old Tsunami case because his cases look like the Fry's weekend specials ones... nothing wrong with them i jus had this box from my p4 build...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back