Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been running my system for the last couple months. Now that it is stable I want to start tuning it. Up to this point I have been booting off of the IBoot Supported, Darwin 10.4 kernel. With the IBoot I'm able to use basic audio output, integrated NIC, and integrated graphics, and USB wireless keyboard.

I have not had any luck booting off of the hard drive using Multibeast with minimal options (DSDT and System update checked). Subsequently I've installed Chameleon to the EFI partition using the excellent guide "Tweaking Your System: Install Chameleon, DSDT, & Extras to EFI Partition". This at least loads Chameleon and allows me to boot Win7 off of the HD. Unfortunately OS X runs into a reboot loop.

After selecting OS X from Chameleon the boot script will run but terminates about halfway and reboots. I've tried -x with the same results. I want to troubleshoot where the problem is located. Unfortunately I can't freeze the screen in time to see where the error is occurring.

So the question: Is there anyway to log the boot load up in order to review it?

Thanks
Idoco

System: GA-H55-USB3 (F6 bios)
CPU: i3-530
Graphics: Integrated (1024x768)
Dual boot 10.6.3 and Windows 7

Well, if you've got Chameleon on the EFI partition, but not an /Extra folder with the various fillings also on the EFI (or anywhere else, from your description), then no surprises that OSX won't boot.
Assuming you don't want to re-partition and reinstall OSX:

- Either "install" Multibeast stuff (ie: the /Extra folder with needed things...Extensions/kexts, DSDT etc) onto EFI partition. Given where you are at may be a good option, compared to the alternate. I guess you'll need to mount the partition then it should be an available install location in Multibeast. (Well, not tested, but hopefully works, else you're into doing it all manually).

or ....

- Install Multibeast relevant options including Chameleon to the normal OSX partition, which is the default. Delete /boot from EFI partition. But fact that you've then still got Chameleon Boot1's on two partitions may cause problems; so either set the OSX partition active with fdisk, or remove it (boot1h) from EFI...but that can get messy (write zeros to the 1st sector or delete partition etc).

I also used to use the EFI partition to store the bootloader etc, as was the "cool thing" to do a while back. Now I just have the /Extra folder on the OSX partition. Much, much less hassle.

But if you do have /Extra fully populated with kexts etc, then boot using -v option, then you'll see at what point things fall over which may help indicate what the problem/missing kext is.

Humph,

Thanks for the input. I do have the Extra folder created by Multibeast on the EFI partition.

Without the -v option I see a few lines of boot up and a reference to the PCI root and the DSDT before it reboots. With the -v option it goes through several pages of kexts before getting to what appears to be the same point. If I completely delete the /Extra folder from the EFI it does not even get to the this point. The reason am using the EFI for Chameleon is that the normal installation with Multibeast was not loading Chameleon.

I'd like to troubleshoot the problem. Hence the request for suggestions on how to log the boot sequence prior to the reboot.

Thanks,
Idoco

Well, you can try the "unsuccessful" boot from HD, then boot using iBoot, and check your kernel logs (Console app in Utilities), which should hopefully have logged something. If there's nothing, then the boot did not get far enough for kernel to be able to write log to file. In which case, have to try to catch the output when booting verbose.

You mention that you see lots of kexts loading. This would indicate that you dont have caches, or that the caches you have are out of date/bad.
But it should be possible to boot w/o caches (as in Chameleon will read and load each kext one by one). The two caches relevant are:
In your EFI partition: /Extra/Extensions.mkext
In main OSX: /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

The latter should be rebuild by OSX when you boot into it. You can force rebuild in Terminal:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

For EFI, well I guess kext helpler etc can do it, but never used them. I just use Terminal:
Code:
cd /Volumes/EFI
sudo chmod -R 755 Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 Extensions
sudo kextcache -v -m Extensions.mkext Extensions
Assumes you've mounted the EFI partition as volume called EFI. kectcache will build the cache for 32 and 64 bit operation, the other stuff to ensure correct ownership and permissions.

Again, it should be OK to boot w/o caches. Provided you have the right stuff in /Extra/Extensions folder. The fact that does not boot makes me wonder if you are missing some critical kext there, like fakesmc.kext etc. Or that the permissions & ownership of the kexts are messed up, which can cause them to be ignored.

Humph,

Will try those suggestions and get back to you.

Thanks,
Idoco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back