Contribute
Register

[LOCKED] Guide - New ATI Kexts from iMac 10.6.7 - 5XXX/6XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide - New ATI Kexts from MBP 10.6.7 Update - 5XXX/6XXX

eelhead said:
You know I see that "memory allocation error" pop up all the time but why isn't their anybody that knows what it is?
I have some ideas as to what it might be but I don't know any of that stuff. I to ran into that issue and was unable to get it resolved. I had to run Andy's boot loader to get past it.

My first install was flawless my second was nothing but that error message and no answers to help figure it out. I forgot who suggested to use Andy's boot loader but I did and it worked just fine. Was able to install and set up Multibeast, I even reinstalled iBoot after as well.

Prior to trunk r753 I received that error from my XFX 6870 whenever GraphicsEnabler=Yes was used. This included iboot.

I am thinking that my 6870 is the cause if that error but like I said I don't know enough about the software workings to figure out what exactly it is setting it off. Don't know why the initial install was flawless lol

voidptr said:
I'm hoping I can get some help getting my Batmobile 5770 working with DVD player, etc.

In general, graphics seems to work fine (dual DVI, QE), except that DVD player crashes, etc.

'ioreg | grep ATY' indicates that the default RadeonFramebuffer is being loaded. So, I need to set the framebuffer to Vervet for this card.

The problem is that because I have a non-standard motherboard (Supermicro X8DAH+-F), I can't really go the DSDT route. I tried using DSDTE to extract a DSDT for my motherboard, but it won't even compile without edits, so that's out.

I also tried putting GE=yes and AtiConfig=Vervet in my com.apple.Boot.plist (this is using the latest Chameleon from MB 3.5.1 which *I think* should support the kabyl stuff), but it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. The RadeonFramebuffer is still being used.

Soooo, what am I missing here? Is there any way to do this without DSDT, or am I stuck?

System Details
- Fresh install - Snow Leopard 10.6.7
- MB 3.5.1, default EasyBeast setting (which includes latest Chameleon, etc.)
- MBP ATI drivers installed (otherwise, I get a hang on startup - spinning gray thing indefinitely)

*tap tap* This thing on? Any thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

Hi,
today I updated my BIOS for X58A-UD3R to FF
and edited the DSDT for using my Sapphire HD5870,
installed the Native ATI drivers and GraphicsEnabler=No,

DVD-player, Geekbench are working, thats good news.
Geebench scores higer,
but Cinebench r11,5 gives my an FPS of 26 :s

This is very very low :(

ChasingTail said:
eelhead said:
You know I see that "memory allocation error" pop up all the time but why isn't their anybody that knows what it is?
I have some ideas as to what it might be but I don't know any of that stuff. I to ran into that issue and was unable to get it resolved. I had to run Andy's boot loader to get past it.

My first install was flawless my second was nothing but that error message and no answers to help figure it out. I forgot who suggested to use Andy's boot loader but I did and it worked just fine. Was able to install and set up Multibeast, I even reinstalled iBoot after as well.

Prior to trunk r753 I received that error from my XFX 6870 whenever GraphicsEnabler=Yes was used. This included iboot.

just want to report ..everything is working! i was able to install SL again. i downloaded the new iboot and boot -v GraphicsEnabler=No and it went pretty smoothly.

Thansks everyone, for all the input and advice. =)

chef

ldontcook said:
eelhead said:
The Sapphire 6870 does work just fine. If you installed it with the previous versions of iBoot and Multibeast it worked fine except DvD, Geekbench and info. Now it should work fully with the new updates. Follow Notshy's advice and load Chimera.

i'm trying to start fresh formated HD. but during the boot up with iboot after pressing f5 to boot from SL CD it doesn't load it gives me this error when i run -V

"ATI card Posted, reading VBIOS from legacy space"
then
"Memory allocation error! Addr=0x0, Size=8002770, File-device_inject.c, Line-246
this is a non recoverable error! System Halted!!!

its the same error when i had SL installed already and running stable with the 5770. just doesnt want to boot the OS. I'm willing to keep trying until it works. Thanks all for the help so far.

i dont have plist because i formated the harddrive to do a fresh install.

Which iBoot are you using / have you tried ?

voidptr said:
voidptr said:
I'm hoping I can get some help getting my Batmobile 5770 working with DVD player, etc.

In general, graphics seems to work fine (dual DVI, QE), except that DVD player crashes, etc.

'ioreg | grep ATY' indicates that the default RadeonFramebuffer is being loaded. So, I need to set the framebuffer to Vervet for this card.

The problem is that because I have a non-standard motherboard (Supermicro X8DAH+-F), I can't really go the DSDT route. I tried using DSDTE to extract a DSDT for my motherboard, but it won't even compile without edits, so that's out.

I also tried putting GE=yes and AtiConfig=Vervet in my com.apple.Boot.plist (this is using the latest Chameleon from MB 3.5.1 which *I think* should support the kabyl stuff), but it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. The RadeonFramebuffer is still being used.

Soooo, what am I missing here? Is there any way to do this without DSDT, or am I stuck?

System Details
- Fresh install - Snow Leopard 10.6.7
- MB 3.5.1, default EasyBeast setting (which includes latest Chameleon, etc.)
- MBP ATI drivers installed (otherwise, I get a hang on startup - spinning gray thing indefinitely)

*tap tap* This thing on? Any thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?
Then why wouldn't you use the old method that still works : default ATI kext (not those from the MBP patch), kabyl's boot, define your FB in the chameleon com.apple.boot.plist ?

Though, if you extracted your DSDT with DSDTSE, it should compile right away without any touch :problem:

Today, new imac support Radeon HD 6970M 2 GB :p

jpa said:
Today, new imac support Radeon HD 6970M 2 GB :p

With just 960 shaders, it's probably only as fast as a 6850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back