Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Loader stuck at "AppleNVMe Assert Failed". First hackintosh attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASrock z390 Phantom Gaming sli/ac
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I'm taking my first stab at creating a hackintosh. My specs are as follows:
ASrock Z390 Phantom Gaming sli/ac motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157852
i9 9900k processor: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117957
Integrated Intel Graphics (will attempt to add in my Radeon VII later, it's currently not installed)
16gb ram: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232472
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB Drive: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147691
Samsung 860 EVO SATAIII 1TB Drive: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673

After scouring through tons of information on this great site, I made my first go using the following guide as his guide was also using an ASRock board:

I was able to follow every step within that guide, with one exception:
  1. Go to the SMBIOS screen, and hit Generate New under the Serial Number and under the SMUUID.
  2. Hit the Check Coverage button to the right. Enter the CAPTCHA on the Web page that comes up and ensure that it says the serial number is invalid (NOTE: you WANT it to be invalid -- as in, not used by a real Mac! If it shows machine data go back to Clover Configurator and hit the Generate New buttons again and then Check Coverage again).
  3. If you know what your system drive will be named, go to the Boot screen and enter the name over Default Boot Volume
I can't see a "Check Coverage" button within Clover Configurator, so I just used the already existing config.plist

I start the system using the created USB drive, and boot within clover from the Macos usb drive in verbose mode. The install always hangs at this same point no matter what I do:

Things that I've attempted since seeing this error for the first time:
  1. Trying all available UEFI: My board has a version 1.1 and a 1.2. I've tried both with no changes
  2. Double and triple checking all UEFI settings: VT-d is disabled, CFG-Lock is disabled, XHCI Handoff is enabled, IO Serial Port is disabled
  3. Using the default Unibeast installer usb, using the modified unibeast installer as per the guide above
  4. Modifying the config.plist setting USB FixOwnership to YES and USB Inject to YES
  5. Trying the USB stick in several different ports.
I was hoping I'd be able to figure this out without having to bother you guys, but I'm at a loss for what to try next. I feel it's important to note that this motherboard only has usb 3.0 and 3.1. As per ammulder's guide, I did add the aaron-usb-config. I have attached the EFI folder from my USB drive. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 258
Hello,

I'm taking my first stab at creating a hackintosh. My specs are as follows:
ASrock Z390 Phantom Gaming sli/ac motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157852
i9 9900k processor: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117957
Integrated Intel Graphics (will attempt to add in my Radeon VII later, it's currently not installed)
16gb ram: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232472
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB Drive: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147691
Samsung 860 EVO SATAIII 1TB Drive: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673

After scouring through tons of information on this great site, I made my first go using the following guide as his guide was also using an ASRock board:

I was able to follow every step within that guide, with one exception:

I can't see a "Check Coverage" button within Clover Configurator, so I just used the already existing config.plist

I start the system using the created USB drive, and boot within clover from the Macos usb drive in verbose mode. The install always hangs at this same point no matter what I do:
View attachment 389509

Things that I've attempted since seeing this error for the first time:
  1. Trying all available UEFI: My board has a version 1.1 and a 1.2. I've tried both with no changes
  2. Double and triple checking all UEFI settings: VT-d is disabled, CFG-Lock is disabled, XHCI Handoff is enabled, IO Serial Port is disabled
  3. Using the default Unibeast installer usb, using the modified unibeast installer as per the guide above
  4. Modifying the config.plist setting USB FixOwnership to YES and USB Inject to YES
  5. Trying the USB stick in several different ports.
I was hoping I'd be able to figure this out without having to bother you guys, but I'm at a loss for what to try next. I feel it's important to note that this motherboard only has usb 3.0 and 3.1. As per ammulder's guide, I did add the aaron-usb-config. I have attached the EFI folder from my USB drive. Thanks for your help!

• Excellent Post with usually required data for troubleshoot.
  • Uploaded CLOVER/kexts/Other :looks appropriate
  • Uploaded CLOVER/drivers64UEFI looks OK ; might consider adding EmuVariableUefi-64.efi if problem with verbose screen remains after following CBM Options Temporary Fixes .
  • Suggested CBM >Options Temporary fixes to try:
  • Force reboot from current Verbose frozen screen
  • Once the macOSMojave UEFI USB Installer reaches Clover Boot Manager (CBM)screen:
    • Scroll down to Options Boot Args: and type in what is missing compared to uploaded sample screen
    • Scroll down to System Parameters>System Integrity Protection and change the Checked boxes to emulate what is in the uploaded image #2
    • Scroll through ACPI Patching>Custom DSDT Patches and make changes as shown in the uploaded Image #3
    • Scroll down to SMBIOS and change Product Name: to iMac 18, 1
    • Return to CBM
    • Reboot the macOSMojave UEFI USB Installer.
    • Upload any Verbose boot screen that appears a problem to you or frozen .

Attachments

• 1.Options_Boot Args.JPG
    1.Options_Boot Args.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,491
  • 2.System Paramaters_System Integrity ProtectionJPG.JPG
    2.System Paramaters_System Integrity ProtectionJPG.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,452
  • 3.ACPI Patching_Custom DSDT Patches.JPG
    3.ACPI Patching_Custom DSDT Patches.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,554
  • 4.SMBIOS.JPG
    4.SMBIOS.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,488
Thanks for the reply cmn699. I was able to make all of the requested clover changes above, with one exception. There are no options for me to select from within ACPI Patching>CustomDSDT Patches.

I made all of the other changes, but it still seems that there is no change. Here's the most recent screenshot of my installer hangup.

Also - I don't know if it's relevant, but there is an existing windows installation on one of the two drives. When Clover Boot Manager loads, I am presented with the following options:
1.Boot windows from 860EVO
  1. Boot Windows from recovery
  2. Boot Windows from EFI
  3. Boot Windows from 970EVO
  4. Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave
  5. Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI

Here is a screenshot:

Also - I don't know if it's relevant, but there is an existing windows installation on one of the two drives. When Clover Boot Manager loads, I am presented with the following options:
  2. Boot Windows from EFI
Here is a screenshot:
View attachment 389549
  • For first time installation , especially if you are new to Hackintosh, it is always better to keep only the Target Disk for macOS and the macOS USB Installer Flash disk connected to the Motherboard's SATA/ M2 /Me connectors and USB ports ( disconnecting all others) to reduce clutter and confusion both at CBM and at Disk Utility Screens.
  • It is a good idea to edit config.plist_Gui_ Hide Volumes to hide : disks that you don't want to show up at CBM[See image of config.plist_Gui_opened in Clover Configurator Global]
  • For now you may try the above troubleshoot clicking the USB Installer icon [ I Guess the 5th icon with USB symbol on it] AFTER making the previously suggested changes in Options

Attachments

• 1.config.Gui_Hide Volumes.png
    1.config.Gui_Hide Volumes.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 992
Thanks for the reply, I'm still unable to add the "ACPI Patching>CustomDSDT Patches", as there are no options to select in that menu. Is this a big deal?

2. Boot Windows from EFI
Here is a screenshot:
View attachment 389549

• I suggest you Remove all disks except the Disk for Mojave and the Installer Flash disk you are using.
  • All other devices must be removed from their Data /Power connectors including any other devices in USB ports.

• Edit config.plist using Clover Configurator vibrant from Clover Configurator 4.62.0.0 (Vibrant Edition) using bulleted steps to mount the hidden EFI Partition of USB Installer and then navigating through EFI>EFI>CLOVER>config.plist using bulleted steps from: #4
    • ACPI >Patches I suggested in CBM screen
    • Boot: Suggested in CBM >Boot flags
    • Rt Variables>CsrActiveconfig : 0x67 [ same thing done thru' CBM_System Parameters>SIP]
    • SMBIOS: iMac 18,1
Edited
to add sample config.plist Screen Captures: ACPI to System Parameters

Attachments

• 1.config_ACPI_Patches.png
    1.config_ACPI_Patches.png
    751.3 KB · Views: 724
  • 2.config_Acpi_Patches.png
    2.config_Acpi_Patches.png
    836.8 KB · Views: 713
  • 3.config_Boot Args.png
    3.config_Boot Args.png
    725 KB · Views: 782
  • 4.config_Gui_Hide Volumes.png
    4.config_Gui_Hide Volumes.png
    615.1 KB · Views: 694
  • 5.config_Devices.png
    5.config_Devices.png
    610.3 KB · Views: 653
  • 6.config_Graphics.png
    6.config_Graphics.png
    549.2 KB · Views: 620
  • 7.config_Kernel & Kext Patches.png
    7.config_Kernel & Kext Patches.png
    547.2 KB · Views: 648
  • 8.config_Rt variables_CsrActiveConfig.png
    8.config_Rt variables_CsrActiveConfig.png
    722.4 KB · Views: 542
  • 9.config_SMBIOS.png
    9.config_SMBIOS.png
    924.5 KB · Views: 610
  • 10.config_System Parameters.png
    10.config_System Parameters.png
    792 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
Thanks for the images! It helped a lot to know exactly what you are wanting me to do. I very carefully went through and added every suggestion listed in the images above, with a few exceptions:

1. ACPI - patches: There is no "GLAN to GIGE" option to select
  2. Config boot arguments: I see you have two custom flags. I can't read one of them as it is covered by the box. Does it say "-acbeta" ?
  3. Under Kernel and Kext Patches, image number 7, I see you want me to select some options from the list of patches. Which ones do I choose? Right now I have "AppleAHCIPort" and "com.apple.driver.u..." in that list. They were already in there. I did not add them

I removed all drives and devices except the usb stick and the target drive for macOS. I even went so far as to format the USB stick, re-run unibeast, and re-do every setting to make sure it was correct. Now when I load Clover, I do only see one option, and that is the USB install Mojave option, which is good.

I ran the installer with the new options (minus the ones I had questions on above), and it looks like I am stuck on "AMFILoadTrustedKeysFromNVRam: no nvram variable". Here is a screenshot of that:

I have re-uploaded my EFI folder to this post, so you can verify the changes I made were correct. Maybe double check my settings as well, as I did re-format the drive and redo unibeast for this attempt.

I feel it may also be important to note that, while my installer usb stick is USB2.0, the port I'm using is a USB3.0, as my motherboard does not have any USB2.0 ports.

Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI2.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 137
Thanks for the images! It helped a lot to know exactly what you are wanting me to do. I very carefully went through and added every suggestion listed in the images above, with a few exceptions:

1. ACPI - patches: There is no "GLAN to GIGE" option to select
  2. Config boot arguments: I see you have two custom flags. I can't read one of them as it is covered by the box. Does it say "-acbeta" ?
  3. Under Kernel and Kext Patches, image number 7, I see you want me to select some options from the list of patches. Which ones do I choose? Right now I have "AppleAHCIPort" and "com.apple.driver.u..." in that list. They were already in there. I did not add them
I removed all drives and devices except the usb stick and the target drive for macOS. I even went so far as to format the USB stick, re-run unibeast, and re-do every setting to make sure it was correct. Now when I load Clover, I do only see one option, and that is the USB install Mojave option, which is good.

I ran the installer with the new options (minus the ones I had questions on above), and it looks like I am stuck on "AMFILoadTrustedKeysFromNVRam: no nvram variable". Here is a screenshot of that:
View attachment 389616

I have re-uploaded my EFI folder to this post, so you can verify the changes I made were correct. Maybe double check my settings as well, as I did re-format the drive and redo unibeast for this attempt.

I feel it may also be important to note that, while my installer usb stick is USB2.0, the port I'm using is a USB3.0, as my motherboard does not have any USB2.0 ports.

Thanks!

• Your problem is NOT USB port related .
  • In the Verbose Boot screen, although there is no direct clue leading to a certain problem , from the progress the verbose boot has gone to, it seems like it is related to Graphics.
  • I cannot find anything wrong in CLOVER to cause that.
  • the Boot flag that was not properly edited in my uploaded image is -alcbeta ( for audio)
  • I have edited the EFI and uploaded for making an exchange in the EFI Partitions of the USB for another attempt.
  • I really like to know about your Graphics related options in the BIOS and also how your Intel HD 630 Graphics is connected to the Monitor ; the ports at both ends and the cable connecting them.
Edited to add 2 Attachments on AsRock BIOS
  1. Chipset
  2. CSM

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
  • 1.Chipset Config_AsRock.png
    1.Chipset Config_AsRock.png
    584.8 KB · Views: 738
  • 2.CSM _AsRock.png
    2.CSM _AsRock.png
    524.5 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
Using your modified EFI folder, I made a few more attempts, still not working. We may have made some progress though. Since you mentioned it was most likely graphics related, I started messing around with those settings. By enabling "Above 4G Decoding" and "IGPU Multi-Monitor" I no longer see the nvram error, however the install still hangs. I can't find an error message in the most recent screen shot of where it stops. Maybe you can?

I've attached an image of all 4 settings that seem to be graphics related. If I disable "Above 4G Decoding" or "IGPU Multi-Monitor", I get the nvram error again. The other settings don't seem to have an effect.

The output on the motherboard is HDMI, which is plugged into my monitor using an HDMI cable into an HDMI port.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg